Lazy Lurker asked in PetsCats · 4 months ago

Is it normal to call your pets names?

I have a cat and I always call her a dumb,ss and stuff when she acts stupid. When she cries because she wants food or attention I just laugh and call her pathetic, is that bad. I love her and she's the love of my life but she's an idiot sometimes and I think I deserve to laugh at her every once in a while. Thoughts?

Just to clarify, I'm not cruel and I do genuinely love her. I would never hurt her on even yell at her. When i do it's more like laughing at your friend when they fall. Of course I'll help out, but it's still funny and it's more endearing than anything else. Like poking fun at someone for being over enthusiastic about something, there's nothing wrong with that and I find that really cute, but I just can't resist. Please don't ask me to get her a better home, she is very loved and taken care of

Cats are crazy.  We love them no matter what. And they tolerate us.

• D1218

They don't have minds like regular human beings so they might not understand,

• Ocimom

You are being cruel.  Please rehome your cat immediately and never get another pet.  She deserves a kinder loving person to live with.  YOU don't love her at all.

Nothing wrong with calling your animal an idiot or a dumbass when they really do be doing something stupid. 

I even call my dog a little sh!t when she's being extra devilish and is doing something she knows she's not meant to be doing but wants to try and push the boundaries to see if I'll cave in.

That's bad. Try not to do that.

• Laura

Yes, thats bad. 

Its not nice to say things like that to a person, why would you say that to your pets?  Especially when they can't care for themselves on their own, they rely on you to take care of them. 

If you love her why do you say such mean things to her? 

I mean I think it's okay because you probably don't really mean it. Besides, she doesn't understand what you are saying so it won't hurt her. I do the same thing with my cat and I love her. 

Don't know, but I call my cat big bad ugly rascally cat or bad old putty tat, and he does not give a rat's rear end what I call him. 

I can't say if this is normal, but if it mollifies your fears, I do this too. I will see my dog Piper bark at her reflection and just jokingly say,

"That's you, idiot."

I don't think it's mean because she doesn't know what I'm saying.