How does a child develop habits and character?

I thought that part of it is the example a parent sets for the child. I've been around people from a young age who do drugs and stuff, and I'm talking about only being a kid. And I've never done drugs at all. I've seen my dad drink beer when I was little, but I just had that sense that it was bad to drink, and I guess this idea stuck to me since learning about it in health class. 

Not even that, but I've been around people who think they're the ****, with their pants low, and acting all gangster, and some of them are still like that in their 20s. I've been there, when I was a little immature kids trying to act like I'm something, but as I grew older, I've matured more and now act more mature (and childish of course, but when the time is appropriate). Of course my mom also lectured me and taught me from a very young age about drugs, but even being like 10 years old, I've had cousins who hung out with these types of people and I was around them and never picked up on these habits because I knew they were bad, I just had a sense.

Even twins can look the same, but can have completely different characters.

Summary is, I don't exactly know how a child develops character. I've seen kids so innocent, friendly, smart, the good boy type, and when they are older, they change and become the "bad boy" type. Even those whose parents are strict, they even turn out to become one of those "bitchy" or "****" type of people.

• Helen

The person you grow up to be depends on three things.

1. Your DNA. This is fixed and unchangeable. It will determine your appearance, whether you may be at risk of certain diseases, and even predisposed to certain personality traits.

2. Your environment. How you are raised, the people in your life, your education, your culture, even your language.

3. Your experiences. For example, a child or young person who was previously confident can develop anxiety or become more introverted following a negative social experience such as rejection, humiliation or bullying.

they probably learn it from their parents

It's the age old question: nature vs. nurture? At a certain age, the brain stops developing. Growth rate slows, and then stops altogether in adulthood. By that time a person is fully developed and remains in that personality, barring mental illnesses or significant brain injuries. As a child grows and watches from those around, and learns how to act from feedback and instruction. When maturity is reached is when one takes responsibility for one's choices.