kenta asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What's a better language to learn, Russian or French?

I want to learn a new language and the ones that sound very interesting to me are Russian and French, but I also like Hebrew, Czech, and Portuguese.

if you are looking for a challenge, go with Russian or Hebrew because they don't use the alphabet you're familiar with, it adds an extra level of difficulty to learning it. French and Portuguese and Czech mostly use our alphabet with a few extra accented letters only.

French and Portuguese would likely be easier and faster to learn, but it depends on whether you are just learning for fun and don't mind the difficulty.

• MARK

No language is better than another. On balance I would say French would have greater utility if there is no reason for you to choose one or the other.

The decision really depends on you. If you employer is sending you to work in Moscow for the next four years Russian would be far more useful to you than French. However, if you are moving to Grenoble to live you will find French is more useful than Russian. So, which of these languages will be more useful to you?

Do you have to limit yourself to one? I once had, strangely enough, a teacher of French whose languages, other than his native English, were French and Russian. Why not, as someone else has suggested, learn both of them?

Whichever of them is "better" for your long-term aims.

And anyway, why restrict yourself to one OR the other? Why not learn both, simultaneously or consecutively, as you choose.

French.  French is much easier to learn too

Source(s): Joe Biden
  • .

I've always been a fan of Slavic culture. Both are beautiful, but I would go with Russian.

• Zirp

The one you become passionate about.

Career-wise, Russian is one of the "critical languages"

and if you want easy, and/or contacts with small amounts of people across the globe, I recommend Esperanto.

If you've never learned a language to some fluency before, start with Esperanto or Portuguese, as Czech, Russian and Hebrew are considered a lot more challenging for native speakers of English

There is no a better language than another, since our choice is in accordance with our needs. So learn a language for: traveling, work, pleasure / fun? Etc.... 

French is rooted in Latin. I'd go for Russian.

Am already familiar with 4 Latin based languages and Latin.