How do I stop getting so angry and frustrated in standstill traffic ?

There aren’t that many things that make me angry as I’m an overall level headed person, with a great life. I have a house, wife, and kids so I’m in fact almost always happy. But the second I get stuck in a really bad traffic jam, I instantly get very angry and frustrated and completely lose it. I also get really bored in traffic and never know what to do. I sometimes scream to myself in the car or pound the steering wheel I get so frustrated. How do people deal with this, clearly everyone doesn’t get really mad in traffic jams, there has to be a way. 

I have bad, bad, BAD road rage. It’s probably my biggest flaw. I’m just like you, I get insanely mad at traffic. The way I’ve learned to deal with it the best is by blasting my favorite song and singing along. This usually helps me and makes the time go by faster. When that doesn’t work, I’ll put a friend or a family member on speaker phone and talk to them until the traffic starts to thin out. I’ve learned that if you have someone else in the car with you and can chat freely, it really does make being stuck in an hour long traffic jam feel like 15 minutes. That’s why if I’m alone, I will call someone up on the phone (just make sure to put them on speaker and pay attention to the road!). Talking or singing really helps me take my mind off of what is currently happening and make the traffic seem to go by a lot quicker. You could also try taking deep breaths, have a snack to eat in your car, or your favorite drink. Sometimes just sipping or eating can help me feel better. I hope this helps you some, just know you’re not alone. Everyone hates traffic!

Learn humility. Teach your ego who is the boss.

Please consider getting into anger management counseling.  No one wants you to do something that you'll later regret and will *not* be able to change.

There may be a local counseling program that administers dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), for instance, which is a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy (cbt), and both deal with how one's thoughts may affect one's behavior.

The program that offers DBT, for instance, may be through an "intensive outpatient program" (IOP), or a "partial hospital" (day treatment) outpatient program, which the latter has more therapy hours per day and/or week.

Either a licensed *clinical psychologist* (PhD or PsyD) or a *licensed-clinical social worker* (LCSW) may provide an "official" mental health diagnosis and/or may administer cbt, for instance.

A board-certified psychiatrist (M.D. or D.O.) or even a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (NP) may administer a mental health evaluation and/or prescribe medication for those with mental health issues, such as if it's recommended.

This website should have some local counseling agencies:

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/

Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

1-800-662-HELP (4357).

This other website has more general info re: "anger management' (though, *not* in place of professional counseling):

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/relationships-c...

NAMI (national alliance on mental illness) is a non-profit organization that has more general info and resources for those with mental health conditions *and/or* their family members or caregivers (though, also *not* for self-diagnosis or self-treatment):

https://www.nami.org/Support-Education

There isn't anything you can do about it. And road rage ain't so good during this time. So you may as well calm down and relax.

good music helps me, i bring my dog or maybe some friends to keep me company and i usually forget about it.

Pues...si te enojas por una simple pendejáda como lo es el tráfico, que ese es un problema a nivel mundial, como que no es muy creíble eso de que eres tan feliz como tu lo dices, tu podras ser muy feliz pero tu familia dudo mucho de que lo sea, si reviéntas por el trafico, sin lugar a dudas de que también lo has de hacer por una infinidad de cosas que has de hacer terriblemente infeliz a toda tu familia, por otro lado, en lugar de dañarte tu mismo con esa actitud de pendéjo cuando está en el tráfico, deberías de ponerte a leer un libro, total que aún que te orines o te cágues de la cólera, a nadie le importará y mucho menos el tráfico dejara de estar allí, así que no seas tarádo.

Buena Suerte. <

You can get anger management courses.

These may help.

Ian has a good answer. We like time off - lying on the beach, doing nothing. I'm pretty sure this has to do with culture. In

our culture, getting places fast is considered very important. It's why states get so much revenue from speeding tickets.

• Ian

Make your commute your special time, listen to comedy or an audiobook, listen to audio courses etc. change the way you look at it.