Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

I'm getting  pap smear done tomorrow. Should I shave ?

I'm a virgin. They are doing it because of pelvic pain and will it hurt? 

• MissA

You can shave or not, just as you like.  It won't make any difference as to how the exam is done and the doctor or nurse doing it *will not* care.

It shouldn't hurt.  It may be a bit uncomfortable but if it *does* hurt just say *ow, stop* and they'll stop.  If you're nervous you can tell them that beforehand  so they know to be extra cautious.

• Edna

Your doctor won't care if you shave, or it you don't shave. He's seen them all - shaved and not shaved. 

No - a Pap Smear doesn't "hurt". 

It's up to you whether you remove the hair or not, as it's down to personal choice. The medical staff won't care whether you do or don't. It's routine to them, like looking at your tonsils, and if it's what they do for a living - possibly multiple times a day - it's highly likely they have probably already seen more female anatomies up to now than Casanova ever did.

It doesn't hurt, it just feels a bit uncomfortable when the speculum is inserted. For example, if it's metal, it may be cold. However, you can ask for it to be warmed up first, such as by having it run under some warm water. 

I would also recommend that you tell them that you're a virgin so that whoever is doing it will know, as they then know to use a smaller size speculum because the muscles can be tighter.

Hope this helps.

Don't bother with shaving. I won't lie, it will hurt some. Not unbearable though.

if the doc is like me, he / she prefers a fuzzy kitty

• Tavy

No don't shave, they are going inside not on your pubes. It is just a little sting from the swab. Lie back close your eyes and think nice thoughts. Over in seconds.

Just be recently washed and dry well.  They've seen it all before.  If you've never shaved before this would not be the time to start.  Pap smears can range from "oh, you're done?" to "Ow!" but seem to mostly fall in the range of a bit uncomfortable.  It often comes down to the skill of the person doing it plus how relaxed you are.  Let them know that you've never had a smear before.  The tool used to hold the vagina open to get the swab and make a visual inspection is called a speculum and comes in different sizes.  Just remind them at the time and they'll use the narrowest size first as default.  I hope they find the cause of your pain so you can get relief soon.