Tattoos and piercings with a heart condition (HEART PATIENTS OR CARDIOLOGY PROFESSIONALS ONLY PLEASE)?

I was diagnosed with congenital heart disease (bicuspid aortic valve and coarctation of the aorta) when I was 17, but by then and before I had any surgical intervention I already had my nose and ears pierced and one tattoo on my left arm. I know doctors heavily recommend against getting more tattoos or piercings when you've got a heart condition due to the increased risk of endocarditis, but I just want to know other heart patient's experiences, especially with tattoos, because it devastates me that I can't have all the ones I want (obviously though, I'd rather stay healthy and alive). I want to know how it's gone for others, also just out of curiosity too! 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

The risk of endocarditis is exceptionally rare, even in heart patients. There is also prophylaxis treatment for endocarditis- (penicillin, clyndamycin, and azithromycin are all used for this as one of their indications.)

Notably, in order to get endocarditis from a piercing or tattoo- that means you'd have to have gotten a septic infection. Most infections are caught way before it gets anywhere close to that point.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Never heard of that in the UK.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.