Tattoos and piercings with a heart condition (HEART PATIENTS OR CARDIOLOGY PROFESSIONALS ONLY PLEASE)?

I was diagnosed with congenital heart disease (bicuspid aortic valve and coarctation of the aorta) when I was 17, but by then and before I had any surgical intervention I already had my nose and ears pierced and one tattoo on my left arm. I know doctors heavily recommend against getting more tattoos or piercings when you've got a heart condition due to the increased risk of endocarditis, but I just want to know other heart patient's experiences, especially with tattoos, because it devastates me that I can't have all the ones I want (obviously though, I'd rather stay healthy and alive). I want to know how it's gone for others, also just out of curiosity too! 

The risk of endocarditis is exceptionally rare, even in heart patients. There is also prophylaxis treatment for endocarditis- (penicillin, clyndamycin, and azithromycin are all used for this as one of their indications.)

Notably, in order to get endocarditis from a piercing or tattoo- that means you'd have to have gotten a septic infection. Most infections are caught way before it gets anywhere close to that point.

• Tavy

Never heard of that in the UK.