What’s topping off?

At the gas station there’s a sign that says, “no topping off.” 

That's when you fill until the gasoline comes up to the rim of the filler neck and stays at that level.

To be honest, after reading the other answers, I did not know it meant that for I always fill mine to the nuts.  I was thinking topping off was adding in a dollar or 2 of fuel.  More of a bother than anything else.  I have never seen the sign and I had diesel(which foams while filling which is a bummer.) Going slow I can add in another 3 gallons of gas @75MPG is 200 additional miles.

So not applicable to all vehicles. I don't have a carbon canister.

• M.

Some people overfill the gas tank with the notion that they want every possible drop in there so they can get the most mileage. But in doing so, many drivers spill gasoline all over the ground. It's not very environmentally friendly, if you know what I mean.  So that gas station management put up that sign. 

When I was a young adult, drivers were not allowed to touch the gas pump or fill their own cars.  There was a "pump jockey" who did it.  Also in those days, the handle didn't shut off automatically.  If the pump jockey walked away and the tank got full, probably about 10 gallons per minute pumped out onto the ground, so spills were sometimes spectacular! 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

Topping off refers to the action of adding more gas to your vehicle after the pump automatically shuts off. When it detects that the fuel tank is full enough to reach the end of the nozzle, it shuts off to prevent overfilling the tank. Some people decide to fill it a little bit more to make the tank as full as possible. However, topping off easily causes gas spills which is obviously inconvenient for the gas station employees to clean up and dangerous.

• Erik

When you put in more gas after it clicks, to make it as full as possible.  They don't want you to spill and make a mess.

It's when you fill the tank more after the auto shut off turns the pump off. Topping up the tank will flood the charcoal canister with gasoline which causes hot restart flooding problems and can cost you over $500 to repair it. 

It means pumping gasoline into the tank and filler neck after the automatic shutoff occurs.  It causes fuel spills.

Come-on, genius, give a try - what would you guess it means?   No wonder the Irish have such a rep.

Trying to fill your tank more after the automatic shutoff on the pump