Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 month ago

Does syphilis mean you have HIV? ?

I was talking to someone who tested positive for syphilis and we messed around and they didn’t tell me. Now I’m kinda worried bc I did some researching and seen something about HIV...Help? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Dj2541
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Syphilis and HIV  are  unrelated  but if  you have  Syphilis  that  would indicate that  you have had unprotected  sex which  puts  you  at  risk  for possible  HIV?

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No.  Why would you think that?

Syphilis was around long, long before HIV ever developed. You could certainly have them both at the same time, but that's not common.  They are not related infections. 

Having syphilis does NOT mean you have HIV. And syphilis is curable while HIV is controllable.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no it means you seriously need to stop with the dangerous self diagnosing

• No. Syphillis and HIV are both stds, but they're unrelated to each other. You can have either one with out having the other.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They aren't related, but if the person is reckless about safety they are also high risk for HIV. Get treated for syph or it can make you insane. Get tested for both.

• 1 month ago

When a person is infected with one STI the risk of acquiring HIV is greater because normal bodies defenses are lowered as a result of tissue disruption the infection causes. Intact skin is a good defensive mechanism whereas breaks and lesions on the skin and mucous membranes makes opening where HIV can more easily penetrate. 

They also found that women with bacterial vaginosis are also at higher risk of acquiring HIV. 

When a person is diagnosed with one STI then the chances of having another STI at the same time is also greater and so testing for all STI's is indicated inclusive of HIV testing. 

• 1 month ago

Syphillis and HIV are two, entirely different sexually transmitted diseases.

• 1 month ago

No, it’s a bacterial infection, HIV is a virus.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It means you have an STD. Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by an infection with bacteria known as Treponema pallidum. Like other STDs, syphilis can be spread by any type of sexual contact. Syphilis can also be spread from an infected mother to the fetus during pregnancy or to the baby at the time of birth.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.