Is it okay to say "They are usually read a book by their father." ? ?

I think it is natural to say, "I'll read you a book," but is it okay to make it passive? And if it is possible, should I say, "They are usually read to a book by〜" or "They are usually read a book by〜"?

English answer:  We use the passive voice when we want to make it clear that something is habitual so "They are usually read a book by ~" is fine.  You cannot say "They are usually read to a book by〜".  That would need to be "They are usually read to by〜".  The book would be implied there.

• John P

It would sound very formal to use the passive in that context, not a 'nice family situation'. And "...usually read to a book..." makes no sense at all. 'I read a book to you'. 'I read a book to my children'. 'A book is read to my children by me'.

Change is NEEDED ↙〽

〰It sounds more natural to the ear when one says "Their father usually reads to them."

OR

〰"Their father usually reads books to them."

〰Past Tense➡ "Their father usually read to them."

〰 "Their father usually read books to them."

It means their father reads them an ENTIRE book every time, which is a rather dubious proposition.

Source(s): (S)orry, I don't do thorough answers. Not anymore!
  • martin

More natural to say, "They usually read a book with their father."