Scott
Lv 6
Scott asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 months ago

What’s the most stable connection hardware for a simple 2X4 platform?

The platform is for storing my small truck canopy, so it will be about 5-7 square and needs to support about 150 pounds.  I’m thinking about wood screws, bolts & washers, or just joist.

I am totally flexible on the design, but here’s a rough example of what I’m looking at building.  Obviously my dimensions will be totally different.

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favourite answer

In that design probably No10 wood screws would be fine. All the weight is supported on the corner posts on end which can take a lot. 

It may have a tendency to fall sideways though, so would be better if one of the cross beams were screwed to a wall, or add a solid board between uprights. 

• Barry
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

Diagonal braces will improve it's stability significantly. Use high quality wood glue and screws. Then it will be bomb proof.

• 3 months ago

DUCK TAPE......

• 3 months ago

ordinary wood screws about 3/4 inch into the second piece of wood should be enough

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Build a 2 times 4 cucumber phone instead might be easier

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

You would get a lot stronger construction if you glued the joints as well as screwing them (No 8 or 10 screws) - I would also want to put in a diagonal brace or two to stop it racking (or thick ply corner triangles). If you want to dismantle it, bolts and toothed connectors (toothed washers) would be a good alternative.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.