Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

running one hour a day?

Is running on treadmill 1 hour bad for your legs?

Yes and no. 

If you already exercise regularly and do regular cardio, running for one hour is not going to be bad for you. On the contrary, it will benefit you - help you lose weight if you're trying to lose weight, or help you build up endurance if that's what you're trying to do. I do 50 minutes of running on the treadmill and then walk for 15 minutes to cool down, but I'm a varsity basketball player so that's just my own training program and everyone is different. 

However... if you are not currently physically active, don't start with a whole hour of running just yet. Start by maybe walking for an hour, then switching between running and walking every ten minutes, and gradually building up to an hour of running. Giving your body a workout it's not used to is very likely to lead to injury. 

Depends. 

If you are currently not running, suddenly running 1 hour a day will likely lead to injury. It's better to start gradually, and build up distance and time spent running each week.

Based on reviews of studies of injuries within the first 12 weeks of running, Tim Noakes, M.D., D.Sc., created a program that starts with walking and gradually makes a transition to running. There is a copy of his beginner to 10k program at http://www.runner.co.za/2003/01/05/training-for-be... 

Running on a treadmill is generally safer and easier on the legs than running outdoors. Treadmills are generally built with impact absorption, so are easier on the legs than asphalt or concrete. The belt may offer more stability than trails. And, if you stay in the proper place, there are no trip hazards such as uneven surface, sticks, or rocks.

When using a treadmill, I like to have a fan turned on high aimed at me, to reduce heat stress.

If you jump right into running an hour every single day from doing nothing or next to nothing, you'll get injured 99% of the time. But if you build up to it slowly it's definitely attainable, though I'm not sure why you'd want to do everything on the treadmill.

• .

Depends on your level of fitness, how intensely you're running, the incline, if you're wearing the right shoes for you, etc. Many people run daily (treadmill or street) and do fine for months or years. Other people may not do well running daily, or after months or years may develop repetitive motion injuries. 

It would be helpful to know your goal or reason for running 1 hour a day. Because you like to run or fitness or fat loss or training for an event or some other reason? Treadmill is typically easier on the legs (re: impact) than running on the street (asphalt or concrete). 

• Orla

As long as you feel fine I guess not...you must be in great shape   how many miles is that ?

nope, UNLESS you have a specific leg injury ..................