How do I get my mom and her bf to adopt a boy?

I am 13 years old and my older sister is 18 and moved out and only visits on weekends (not currently bc of corona). My mom is 39 and her bf is 40. Both always wanted a son and never had one. My mom can not get pregnant and I do not want a baby brother. I always wanted a brother-sister relationship and thought it would be nice to have a sibling close to my age (11-15) or around that. What should I do?

Best thing is to make close friends with someone and treat them like you would a sibling. That way you'll have someone your age close enough to relate to.

not much you can do, its up to them

• Edna

You need to keep your 13-year-old  mouth shut about what YOU want your mom and her boyfriend to do. You might as well forget the whole thing anyway, because your mom and her boyfriend can't adopt a child (boy or girl) together -  they aren't married. 

You only THINK that your mom and her boyfriend always wanted a son together, but were never able to because your mom can't get pregnant. How do you know your mom can't get pregnant?  I'm SURE your mom shared that vital piece of information with her 13-year-old daughter. 

I doubt that a couple who is 39 and 40 years old ever wanted to have a child together (if they had, they would have gotten married); and I especially doubt that they would want to take on the responsibility of adopting and raising  a child who was already 11 to 15 years old.  

You say you don't want them to adopt a baby brother; you want them to adopt a girl. Don't you realize that the only child that they might be approved to adopt (if they could even get approved) might be a boy? A couple just can't go down and "pick out" a child who they want to  adopt. 

• lauren4 weeks agoReport

That's a bit harsh on the kid, although valid, except for the baby boy part. Keyword was baby, they want brother but not a baby brother - closer to their age. Either way they are asking for something they can't comprehend.

If they aren't married they cannot jointly adopt in many States.  Where?

Otherwise, don't you have enough in your life to keep you busy without interjecting yourself into your mother's life?

Talk to your father about adopting a child.  You do have two parents, right?

• car253

Talk to them about adoption.   The founder of Wendy's Dave Thomas was adopted.  Many older kids out there are waiting to be adopted.   Give them some information.

You might want to post which state you live in for more help.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Her mom and her mom's boyfriend can't adopt a child together- they aren't married.

There's nothing you can say that would make them want to do this if they already don't.  You're asking them to make a major commitment of time and money, and most of this you don't even realize (nobody your age does!).   I don't know if this helps or not, but in many families it plays out like this.  My sister and I are both about 6-7 years older than our youngest sister.  She was 12 or so when we left for college. 

The other problem is that good adoption agencies won't adopt out to a woman and her bf.  They strongly prefer a married couple.

Forget your parents, make a platonic friendship with a boy and develop a brother sister relationship out of choice.

You don't do anything.  Your mom and boyfriend have their reasons for not adopting.