Why can't delete already answered questions?

What do you think about this restriction?

Yahoo/Verizon OWNS answered questions is why

They are part of Yahoo/ Verizon's digital databases forever

You agreed to this TWICE. 

YA's original purpose was to create a searchable digital database of personal knowledge and skills gained from both formal education AND personal life experience. If you could delete your answered questions. that would destroy the digital database AND the original purpose YA exists. 

Yahoo/ Verizon can SELL your answers. Yahoo DID sell at least one of my answers to endorse a product I would never have endorsed or recommended. 

• Sharon

You can only delete them if they have no answers. Click on 'Edit' beside your question and then delete it. If it has an answer the Edit button no longer appears and you cannot delete it.

I don't particularly like it myself, but the way I see it is, if people were able to delete their answered questions then eventually Yahoo Answers would become a shell because I'm sure most users would want to delete their questions.

• Daniel

If no Best Answer is Picked you can still Delete it by clicking on the Delete Answer Button under the Edit menu 

However if Best Answer is Picked you cant Delete It 

Yahoo has that Policy Because they dont want people to Misuse the Answer Format 

• It is just like the last question you asked.  You can not delete a question once it has an answer.  If no answer then it can be deleted.  But when it has an answer the delete option is removed and the question becomes the property of Verizon to do what they like with it to including selling it.

Two reasons.

1. Yahoo went back to the original purpose of YA - to build a database of questions and answers. Deletions defeat that purpose. Yahoo gets paid by activity on YA, so they want to keep it.

2. There was great complaining because users were spending time giving good complete answers, just to have them deleted. Users were starting to think they were wasting their time and started skipping questions or giving short answers. This hurt the people really looking for answers.

Most users also do not understand the search engines pick up these questions quickly, so even deletion did not remove posts from the web unless it was done quickly.