How do I wire a guitar speaker cabinet?

I have 2 speaker cabs. Both have speakers in them but only one has speaker wire connected to a 6.35mm male jack. I can connect is strait into the amp. Both speakers I believe run 8ohm each but I'm not sure.

My amp is the vox mv50 which can run 4ohm, 8ohm, and 16ohm. I would like to get the full 4ohm from the amp so first:

How do I wire the speakers (so I can actually plug the amp into both individually so I can see which I like most)? at the moment one has no cable on it its just the speaker so I have no way of plugging it into my amp and have no idea how to do so.

and second:

How do I plug both into the amp getting 4ohms out of the amp? this is assuming that they are both 8ohms.

I was thinking about getting a guitar output jack and wiring that to the speaker but then I wouldn't be able to plug in two speakers simultaneously to the amplifier. HELP IM CONFUSED!


I wonder if I connected the speaker on the left with speaker wire to two guitar output jacks if I could then connect the amp into one, and the right speaker to the other. Would this work or am I being dumb?

Attachment image

2 Answers

  • Robert
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    If your Vox amp uses vacuum tubes attention should be paid to the operating output impedance of the speakers to the tap selected (something to do with standing waves generating excessive voltages on the output transformer) or damage would occur. Transistor or power ic amps are more tolerant of odd impedances as long as they do not go below the minimum impedance rating for your amplifier. If operating 2 8 ohm speakers are required they would be connected in parallel (plus to plus, minus to minus) for a total of 4 ohm impedance. A switch may be also required to operate both speakers together. If this option is taken a safety snubber resistor 220ohm to 270ohm 1 or 2 watt could also be used directly connected across the amp output to prevent any load throw-off voltage from rising to high. If the amp is over 30 watt output use 1.5mm squared cross section 12 to 10 guage awg flexible wire to connect.

    • Robert
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

      The multiple speaker operating switches use this mentioned circuit arrangement.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Take all of it to a music shop that does repairs in-house, 

    or to an audio repair shop. 


    A technician will be able to determine the details and advise you. 



    Keep in mind that when an amplifier has selectable output taps, as most tube models do, 

    you don't get any more power out of it with a 4 ohm load than with an 8 or 16 ohm load. 

    That is because of the (necessary) impedance-matching function of the taps. 


    • ...Show all comments
    • spacemissing
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      As I told you above, Take It To Someone Who Knows This Stuff and get the information directly, in person. That is how it was done fifty years ago, and it is still the best way. 

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.