Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

how am i supposed to watch house of cards or cosby show?

given what i know about the two leads of the shows?  is it normal to get scared of the show?  or am i supposed to separate the actor from the show's character?

If you are scared of watching these two series then don't waste your time. Watch cartoons instead.

• Snoopy

They are old, I am watching the Don Johnson's one. 

My view is this: all those shows, movies, even some bands are collective efforts.  They are not the product of just the star who also happened to be a terrible human-being.  It is really unfair to all the rest, the co-stars, the writers, the tech crew, and all the myriad who worked hard on these projects to impose blanket boycotts for things that didn't happen as part of the art (for me, I boycott film where animals were killed like in the old Hollywood movies where they used to trip wires to fell horses, or movies where the director surprised young actors with straight up abuse to get "realistic" reactions).  On the other hand, once outed as an abuser I have no problem with that individual being boycotted from further work if people feel too disgusted to work with this person and if enough people do, well, nobody who doesn't want to support them should feel like they have to pay a cent toward their work.

This has been my personal philosophy with one of my favourite bands, Noir Desir.  I refuse to even listen to anything Bertrand Cantant has done since even though he is extremely talented because the more he's tried to justify himself the worse and more dangerous he comes across.  The band though was more than one person, so I'm happy to delve into the back catalogue (and to see what Serge Teyssot-Gay is up to).

"Scared" is an odd choice of word.  It's a strong word.  Do you really feel this strongly or do you mean "uncomfortable" or "apprehensive"?  What are you scared of?  Are you scared of yourself for enjoying the show?  Are you scared that you can't spot a predator even though these are ACTORS?  Sometimes it's good to think through feelings of unease to pinpoint them in order to get some perspective.

You could always watch the original British House of Cards (it's much shorter so you'll get through it quicker).

You are able to make a decision to watch anything you want regardless of the actors' personal lives and scandals.

You must learn to be objective when watching movies and tv series. Actors are real people who are hired to perform in front of a camera or on the stage. They have problems in their personal lives that seem to be fed by the paparazzi and social media.

Just imagine you are somewhere else.

In the movie scene.

• fcas80

You can protest the actor and the sponsors of the show by not watching.

• Orla

Do whatever you want. You live in the usa right ?  Liberty and justice for all ?

Don't watch the shows