cmac'm
cmac'm asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 months ago

Black Lives Matter is calling "for a national defunding of police". Do you agree with them?

This is according to the black lives matter website.

No, and BLM should want more funding for police, as well. Defunding them would lead to them being even less able to afford to pay quality people to be policemen. Biggest problem now is their vetting process, letting low life people like Chauvin be cops because they cannot afford a high enough salary to attract intelligent people of high character. 

Well, not entirely, but I think there's a good argument to be made that in places where the police budget makes up 25 to 30% of the entire budget for a city that those resources could be better spent somewhere else.

Police don't need to be drug counselors or domestic dispute mediators and the money that has been spent training cops to be unbiased and culturally sensitive as obviously been a giant waste of funds 

Maybe the better answer is to demilitarize police forces and scale back their responsibilities to police work and divert some of those funds to addressing mental health issues, homelessness and drug use in poverty stricken communities that have a significant impact on crime.

I'm not saying it's definitely the right answer, but I think you could make a solid argument defunding the police to some degree makes sense.

• Rick

nope .......................................

Just defund police in the inner cities and see what happens. Let them suffer in their own stupidity I say 

No, I don't. I can afford to pay a small yearly fee to have my neighborhood protected by armed police, can black lives matter? This is not a good answer to addressing the very real problem of police brutality.

• Dooby

I bet... just a hunch.... that most of them will call the police to come save them over a sniffle.

.... just a hunch.

No.

No, make black communities a police state.

• helene

Of course communists call for that.

And only commies would agree with it.

• A.J.

It's a wrong bad statement. I do not support violence, anarchy, or firearms.

I checked the BLM web site, and honestly believe that is wrong.

To some extent the opposite is true. There needs to be competent trained police and there is a shortage of recruits. Distinct possibility that low pay in some law enforcement is getting incompetent bigots.

I support a correction of inequities and major changes in law enforcement and justice system. That actually also takes MORE judges and courtrooms to speed the process. Too many people sitting in jail never convicted of a crime.

I consider it a flaw in the movement, just as I understand the violence. The issue is we don't need MORE police. We need better ones. We don't want military control- Trump is very wrong. We need discussion councils, and that takes funding.

The principles of the movement are correct, but there are some things expressed poorly, out of a justified anger.

Normally, I don't "chat" here. Thank you Cmac'm for the proper reference. comment user Christopher Calvin - so do right wing libertarians as anarchists.

I agree 100%...................