Marriage and names?

Hi, this may seem a stupid question however, I have no clue about it to be honest. My daughter is a British Citizen wanting to marry her boyfriend who is Spanish and she is wondering what name she takes seeing as Spanish people typically have 2 surnames which are their father’s then their mother’s (I believe). Would she take both as well or?

She takes her husband's surname. I would take everything my husband uses as his surname. This is a very important, not to mention a romantic, tradition to observe in this age of intersectionality, feminism and hating on everything masculine. She takes his surname, so if he goes by both then both.

It's not a stupid question, but I don't get why she'd be asking you about it.  This is between her and her fiance, and there are loads of options.  Just because he's Spanish doesn't mean it has to be done through his culture.  They can come up with something that honors both cultures or traditions.  The only right answer is for you to suggest the 2 of them talk this through.

• Marvin

She can do whatever she wants.  Women taking the husbands last name is only done in Western countries. How and if it is hyphenated depends on local customs.

Most of the world does not practice name changing.

My wife does not have my last name.  I am a German-American.  She is Burmese.

I adopted her son, and changed his name.

It's her choice what name she goes by. 

• Trish

I think she should use his name.

• Ocimom

She can keep her maiden name and use a hyphen and add the husband's last name.

She can do whatever she pleases. The sensible options would be.

1. Keep her own surname. Changing her name isn't mandatory in Britain, and it's not the norm in Spain. 

2. Use her husband's paternal surname (ie, if his name is Enrique Diaz Arroyo, she would be Mrs. Diaz)

3. Hyphenate her surname and her husband's paternal surname.

Why is this your problem, and why don't you just ask her what she intends to do?

only take fathers last name, not mothers

don't thumbs me down. it is ultimately the woman's decision. thanks.

• drip

My daughter didn’t change her name. She kept her own name. 

She can take just the last of his last names. This is a choice, not the law. Can she not ask her fiancé  what is typically done in Spain? She is British she doesn’t need to do what is done in Spain.

• Abuelito4 weeks agoReport

For the man yes, the single woman would follow the same as you describe. Upon marriage this changes. Manuela Diaz Arroyo marries Eduardo Gomez Hidalgo, she then becomes Manuela Diaz de Gomez.

Yep we really do not care