Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

How come Christians still try to say the Bible disapproves of abortion when it doesn't make a real case for it?

I've read the Bible fully and the Bible does say spare the rod spoil the child and it also says that if your child still can't behave you should have them sent to the town to have them stone to death. I believe in the Bible page by page and I believe in what the Bible says about the breath of life that we come alive when we take that first breath. Let me say unborn children according to the Bible are the same level as animals they don't have souls so it's okay to kill them. Also if you eat meat and disagree with this statement just stop eating eggs. Animals don't have souls and life starts when you take the breath of life. There is also no real verse in the Bible to tell me that abortion is wrong and I know the correct translation so it's blasphemy to lie about the Bible in this way.

Publius no that's talking about killing a pregnant woman. It's not talking about just premature birth it's talking about the woman being killed.

The 10 commandments actually do say thou shalt not kill but the Bible makes a clear case that animals and unborn do not have souls. Also a child born out of wedlock shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.

But if a child is born out of wedlock then it sets them up for failure.

Michael I explain the verse about killing a pregnant woman.

Paul the Bible gives excuses for murder. It does say thou shalt not kill but it also gives times when it's okay. If a husband suspects his wife had an affair and got pregnant have an abortion. If spare the rod spoil the child does not work they should be taken to the town and be put to death.

• Hogie

What you have done is to take the comment about the breath of life and, through assumptive reasoning, conclude one is not alive until they take a breath of air. 

If an unborn baby is not alive until he or she takes a breath of air, then the opposite must be true; that the baby is dead until then. How then do you define being dead? Just not breathing? So if I hold my breath, I am dead until I take another breath?

How about you try this regarding what the Bible says.  

Jesus contrasted good and evil works by using "saving life" as good and "destroying life" as evil.

It is also stated in the Bible that it is God who forms us in the womb. 

So you advocate destroying that which God forms/creates in womb.

If you "prevent" an abortion, are you "saving life" or "destroying life?"

If you carry out an abortion, are you saving life, or destroying life?

Even a bank robber has an excuse; a rationalization for his actions. And evil people have their excuses. 

Are fish alive? They don't take a breath of air. 

Women who have an abortion do so for various reasons, including economic hardship, relationship problems, the desire for freedom to pursue further education or a career, or not wanting to be a single mother. 

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

In God’s eyes, life​—especially human life—​is sacred. (Genesis 9:6; Psalm 36:9) This principle applies to a baby growing in the womb, a place designed by God to be a safe haven for a developing child. “You kept me screened off in my mother’s womb,” said a Bible writer. He added: “Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; all its parts were written in your book regarding the days when they were formed.”​—Psalm 139:13, 16.

God’s view of the life of an unborn child is also reflected in his Law to the nation of Israel and in our God-given conscience. God’s Law stated that a person who assaulted a pregnant woman and killed her unborn child was subject to the death penalty​—the killer paying with his own life for the life he took. (Exodus 21:22, 23) Of course, the judges had to take into account motives and circumstances.​

Humans are also endowed with a conscience. When a woman heeds her conscience, or inner voice, by respecting the life of her unborn child, her conscience rewards her.* If she violates her conscience, it may trouble her or even condemn her.  Indeed, studies indicate that women who have an abortion also have an increased risk of anxiety and depression.

It does make a case against abortion, pard.  Ex. 21:22, 23.

• Paul

God gave us Ten Commandments that sum up His will concerning morality. One of His Commandments is "Thou Shalt Not Kill". That covers it all. He doesn't have to say "Thou shalt not kill elderly people", or "Thou Shalt Not kill teenagers" or "Thou shalt not kill children during the first nine months of their life". "Thou Shalt Not Kill" covers every form of murder.

You've read the Bible fully but missed, Thou shalt not kill?

How very strange!

• That's the old testament, why not address your question to Jews!

• JASON

It just reinforces stereotypes and tarnishes those who aren't getting involved in the rioting. Those actually doing it don't seem to care about this.

>>>Let me say unborn children according to the Bible are the same level as animals they don't have souls so it's okay to kill them. <<<<

And God says "When did I die and make you God?"

Hands that shed innocent blood is one of Gods top seven abominations. 

Proverbs 6:16-19 KJV — These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, ****and hands that shed innocent blood,**** An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

And there is no blood more innocent than that of a developing fetus. Yes by Day 28 after conception a zygote has a functional heart that pumps real blood.

And God will personally avenge the murders of his each and every little one.

Abortion as it is defined today is also a recent phenomenon. In ancient times, they didn't have reliable or low risk abortion methods, so they concocted an alternative by "sacrificing" the unwanted child to one of the gods, "putting the child through the fire". Yes, they burned them to death. The Jews were doing this on a large scale in ancient times. The Bible roundly condemns that practice. In fact, it is a major reason that God called the Babylonians to attack and destroy Jerusalem (about 600 BC) and then carry a remnant of the Jews off to Babylon. Now, people are fooling themselves if they cannot construct from God's word the reason that abortion is an abomination.

The mitigating and condemning verses that will bring about judgment are as follows:

1) "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations" (Jeremiah 1:5). Here, God will argue that He is the One Who does the creation of everyone in the womb. The womb is His baby factory and is not owned by the carrier, as alleged, to be dealt with arbitrarily and recklessly. Further, He "knows" the "unborn" baby and established a plan for that person's entire life.

2) "If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise." (Exodus 21:22-25) Here, the Judge clearly lays out the form of punishment - when the pregnancy does not come to "full term" due to reckless behavior. If there is no injury, nevertheless the offender shall owe what the husband wants and which is affirmed by a judge. If there is death, again even due to an "accident", the offender shall be put to death. At the time of this verse's writing, the notion of purposeful destruction of unborn human life was not known, but this text is explicit regarding the care and protection of the unborn that God demands.

3) "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13). It does not get any clearer than this. Even though mankind has erroneously labeled the unborn as "a lump of flesh", that is obviously not God's view. He has explicitly stated that the unborn are "persons" and must be accorded with the utmost protection. Killing the unborn is murder.

While I don't accept your theological argument, I accept your conclusion. The primary prohibition in this argument is the commandment "Thou shalt not kill". This logically devolves to a question of when life begins. Abortion, a Republican wedge issue, has become a political issue, and at it's core is the question of the beginning of life. Science has traditionally defined it as the ability to survive outside the womb. The religious/political opponents are trying to define it as as the presence of a heartbeat. I tend to side with the logic that says if something cannot survive, it is not alive. In other words, you cannot kill something that cannot live. Please recognize that this is a political, not a moral disagreement.

• Bulky_Bob
      1 month agoReport

Who is the one entitled to define when life begins? God, Who created everything or some ungodly scientists? From God's point of view, the process of "life" started before conception.