On a non-military ship, is it law for ship officers to obey the captains orders, or just custom?

For example, a sinking cruise ship.

With the Titanic, and I'm not talking the movie, I'm talking accounts of the real event, the ships officers were obeying the orders of the captain and higher officers despite knowing death was coming, instead of trying to find a way to survive themselves.

Well, if it were me, then once the ship is sinking, any recognition of authority I may have held previously is null and void, and I'm gonna do what I have to in order to survive.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Or in this case, buried at sea.

Then you would have been buried at sea -- and not necessarily from drowning.

Most of the officers who obeyed orders made it into the lifeboats, because one officer was assigned to each lifeboat of women and children, to row it away from the ship.

But someone who ignored orders and tried to save themselves would have been thrown out of a lifeboat by the other passengers, and would have died.