Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

My wife bought a huge container of spinach and we aren’t going to be able to go through all of this before it goes bad. Advice?

21 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it keeps as good as Kale it should be ok after a week in the fridge. I've had some Kale now for just over and its still looks and smells fine.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Spinach cooks down so much that if you can’t use it all up then you aren’t eating enough spinach.

Tamar Adler has a vintage recipe in her new book called “Four day spinach”.

You cook 4 lbs of spinach and add a stick of butter, then put in the fridge.  The next day you heat it again and add another stick of butter.  Two more days of this and you have four day spinach.  

She claims in the recipe to never have been able to make it past day 2 before she scarfs all the spinach and that this is really an exercise in learning just how much butter spinach can absorb.

If it were me, I’d cook it down, chop it up and make a big spinach, mushroom and hot italian sausage lasagne, or two, then freeze the lasagne for future meals.

Or just cook it all with butter and put it in the fridge to use in omelettes, crepes and fritattas for the next few days.

• 1 month ago

Chop it, blanch it and freeze it in small containers for later use. 

• Kate
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I am a little confused about spinach in a container. Have only ever bought it fresh by the bunch. It probably won't keep for long ..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I eat raw spinach like potato chips.

• 1 month ago

Steam it and then drain it and freeze it. 

Then you can use it as a vegetable side

In a dip, Spinach Artichoke dip is awesome!

Spanakopita 

• 1 month ago

Cook it all right now. It'll shrink down to practically nothing, and you can freeze it. Use it later for soup or a lasagne.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Spinach will shrink by about 80% so it wont yield all that much once cooked. But you can put it raw in salads or cooked in soups too. 

• 1 month ago

maybe you should donate it to a food pantry

• kswck2
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Most food panties are not dealing with fresh food right now-just canned goods. Mine is just handling out sandwiches. 

• 1 month ago

You can start decomposing the leftovers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.