Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do I need to worry about my cats litter attracting ants?

I often see ants around my kitchen, and a lot on food that's left out. After I scoop the litter box once a day, I put it in a trashcan, with one of thso slide lids on top, so I know ants could get in there if they wanted, but I don't see any in the litter box, or the wait can. Would it be alright If I just kept doing things the way I do if I dont see any ants, or should I change my ways?

Cat litter will not attracting ants. ants like food sweet, so check smelling good food will not exposed in air. If you feed cats tins make sure they ate it then clean. it will helps.

and you'd better put the litter and any other gabage in a sealed condition.Ps: if you need cat tree cat cube cat scratching please have a look on cupets cat tree.

• Ocimom

No.  Do you put the litter in a plastic bag that can be sealed or tied or just dump the litter in trashcan?  You will continue to have an ant problem if you continue to leave food out.  Feed your cats on 2 scheduled meals of canned food per day and don't leave the food to sit out all day attracting the ants.  Cats won't eat food that is covered in ants.

maybe the ants are desperate for loo

• PR

I have never seen ants in cat litter boxes, so you probably don't need to worry about this as an attractant. If you were to see ants in there, then you might have a relatively serious ant problem.

As you said:

-Food left out attracts ants: Try to get plastic containers to keep leftovers in and put it away right away.

-Counter-tops: Even sticky counters can attract ants. Wipe the counter down after preparing foods, perhaps with bleach. Ants are pretty good at smelling things, even small amounts of them.

-Tree branches: It is recommended that any tree branches touching the house be trimmed. I don't get how ants would crawl from a branch, to the house, but that is what pest control companies say.

-Cat food: Although we have never had ants in our cat food while in the bag, any pet food left out or in the dish will attract them. This would be more of an attractant than cat litter. I have seen ants going to leftover cat food, so we never leave it down.

-Grease: Some ants love grease. It probably doesn't take much to attract them, so if you cook with much grease/oil, be sure to wash anything it may have splattered on, including the stove, walls, floor, etc. 

Here is a link with other ideas to deter ants. Diatomaceous earth is one item suggested that helps deter and actually kill many insects, naturally. It cuts through their exoskeleton. 

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/13-nat...

Get rid of the cat and keep the ant dry. 

i would hope not, maybe you should get pest control to come over