Why do I now need a smart phone in order to set up a new router for my PC? What happened to install CD's and downloadable files?

Update:

Who decided that everyone has (or wants) a smart phone?  

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

You don't.  

You will need to know how to use WPS on your computer or connect it with a cable.  

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

You're right.  Netgear wants you to install their Nighthawk app on your phone and use that.  But if you look around on their Support page you can see how to do the setup in the traditional way.  I wonder why they're pushing the phone app.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

You don't, mate.  Pay attention to what's on the screen.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

You're right. Netgear wants you to install their Nighthawk app on your phone and use that. But if you look around on their Support page you can see how to do the setup in the traditional way. I wonder why they're pushing the phone app.  

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

you don't. it is one option. you can use your pc.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

You're right. Netgear wants you to install their Nighthawk app on your phone and use that. But if you look around on their Support page you can see how to do the setup in the traditional way. I wonder why they're pushing the phone app.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not sure, I didn’t need my phone to set up mine.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.