Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Why would a car dealer pull this scam?

I reserved a car at a dealership, planning to buy it. On the day of the appointment, I was driving there when they called me to tell me that they had "forgotten" to do an inspection on the car and refused to sell it which I thought was complete BS.They said they would call me the next day after the supposed inspection. Well they never called. Then I see they have advertised the car on Autotrader and other publications.

So what would be the reason they made up the whole story to not sell it to me but instead pay for ads?? Makes no sense!

they do this because to bring you in to the dealership. that has happened to me before they tell yeah they have this car but they don't always. my advice is to go to the dealership and check it out 

cause they like to scam

(1)They may have lied to you, but that does not make it a scam which is totally different and must involve fraud. 

.

(2) I have never heard of a dealer who allows someone to reserve a car without either paying a hold fee, the dealer running a credit check on them, or without the prospective buyer providing proof from their bank that they are pre-approved for a loan.

.

(3) I just went through this myself after looking at cars offered by over 30 different dealers. Every one of them required one of those things before they would hold a vehicle for me pending payment for it.  If you didn't do any of that then they had no reason to consider you a serious buyer. I'm sure they'll still sell you the vehicle if they have it, but they're not going to hold it without adequate evidence that you might be more than just a tire kicker. 

.

(4) Besides that, if you got there and didn't buy the car they would have had to to re-start the ads. It is cheaper and easier for them to just keep running the ads even if a sale is pending. Dealers do that all the time and quite often they have sold the car even though the ad is still running. 

.

(5) Dealers often leave ads running even after selling a car, especially if it's a really good price because it attracts more potential buyers. That's called the "bait and switch" which IS a scam. 

It's most likely bait-and-switch car that they either don't have or don't plan on selling at that price. I would report them to BBB, DA office and leave a brutally honest review on Yelp. Move on cause no one is actually getting that car.

• david

Sometimes they advertise a car when they get it in and before they inspect and clean it.  With my last car, this was the case, but I ended up waiting almost a week for it.  It turned out to be a really nice car though.  It does seem like bad customer service to not call you back.  Maybe you should call them if you're still interested.

I can not think of any good reason.  Best I can do is say that they will now how your name and number and the name and number of anyone else who responds to the ads.  This may be one way of getting leads on potential future customers.  Not a good idea in my opinion as you are now P.O.ed at the dealership.