Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Am I obligated to take my dads dog to the park everyday to walk it?

My dads dog has arthritis, and he rarely walks him. I have been walking him, but it was on pavement, and I heard that pavement can make arthritis worse. There isnt really much grass around my house. When I trie to walk him in the grass around my house, he just either wants to go inside, or go and walk on the saved road. I know if I went to the dog park, the there is a huge field he can walk around in. I dont have a car right now. I guess if I really wanted to then I could take a taxi. Would I be a bad person if I didnt find a way to take him to the park?

Why doesn't you dad walk his own dog?  Does he too have the arthritis?  Your dad should take the dog in to see a Vet & get the medicine that helps dogs with arthritis.  It would help a LOT.

• Nick1 month agoReport

I guess because hes lazy. He did take the dog to the vet. The dog was prescribed anti inflammatories for when hes in pain.

• Maxi

Of course you are not obligated. Certainly walking daily will help the dog and certainly it is less stressful on the joints to soft ground walk, so soil, grass etc rather than hard ground walking.

There are many treatments that can help, vet prescribed as well as things you can buy OTC thin, gs like glucosamine, chondroitin,  fish oils all have also been shown to support mobility and the overall quality of life for dogs. I use Bioflow which for a dog is a collar, ( great for people too) but these have to be purchased from the company or one of their agents......I have tried others but found they don't work so would only recommend Bioflow

While grass is cooler and often easier on the feet, giving the dog some exercise is the most important thing.  Tell Dad there are medications for arthritis pain - that are made specifically for dogs (there safe unlike human meds). The vet can RX something to help him be more comfortable.  Becoming sedentary, make arthritis worse.

Absolutely not. You have considered a lot for him. There is a many dogs in dog park someone maybe dangerous for your dog. You can take him to there then observe if it is comfortable for him. 

Ps if you need pet seat covers in future check out cupets thanks!