When does my landlord need to tell me how much I will be getting back of my security deposit? ?

When does my landlord have to tell me how much I will be getting back for my security deposit? I know the laws state in Wisconsin that landlords have to send the security deposit within 21 days. But I still don't know how much I will be getting back. Do they have to let us know beforehand or will they have a form in the mail letting me know deductions?

• J

They have 21 days to either return your deposit or give you an itemized list of money they are keeping. You will find out when you either get a check, a list, or both.

The 21 days is what they have

• Maxi

" I know the laws state in Wisconsin that landlords have to send the security deposit within 21 days." So within that time frame, once the landlord sends the whole, part or nil deposit back you will know then

They never have to nor do they waste their time telling you in advance how much you are going to get back or even when they will mail it.  The law provides for a window of time to refund a deposit and when they get around to writing your check, they simply mail it.  That meets the state laws.  Windows of time in the U.S. vary from about 3 days to 45 days.  You are way ahead of many since you already know your landlord should be mailing it within 21 days of your move out date.  Be patient.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • R P

You will find put when you get the accounting of your deposit.

• G R

Like the law says, when and if you receive the refund check you will know.  No they do not have to let you know before hand.

NO they are not required to tell you before hand.  You get the list of deductions WITH the refund.  That 21 days is in the mail not in your hand.  As long as it is postmarked on or before the 21st day it is legal. 

this is from WI's landlord and tenant laws.  Based on this, I would say at the end of the lease period.  Definitely within a short time later.

The landlord is required to return the tenant’s security deposit at the end of the lease term. However, the landlord may withhold the tenant’s security deposit for any of the following reasons:

Damages beyond ordinary wear and tear

Unpaid rent

Permanent harm to the premises or neglect of premises

Utility services

Unpaid monthly municipal permit fees (if applicable)

Other breaches of the lease

Moreover, the landlord can include additional reasons for making deductions from a tenant’s security deposit. These additional reasons must be included as a separate written statement called Nonstandard Rental Provisions. The landlord must show and explain these provisions to the tenant before entering into a lease agreement with the tenant, and the tenant must sign this provision.

If any portion of a security deposit is withheld by a landlord, the landlord must deliver or mail the tenant a written statement accounting for all amounts withheld. The statement must describe each item of physical damage or other claim made against the security deposit, and the amount withheld for each item or claim.

• LILL
      1 month agoReport

The landlord has 21 days AFTER the lease terms ends to return the deposit....less deductions.

Given your username, never.  I got a letter within maybe a week that explained why I was not getting mine back. I left the place a mess and dirty because moving took longer and wore me out more than I expected.