zluv92 asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Why does a dr. order a colonscopy?

I just got my blood test results and the dr. said I have low iron and referred me to get a colonoscopy  . I am a 49 year old postmenopausal  female with heavy menstrual bleeding. I am wondering why I got referred to get a colonscopy?

Pre- menopausal****  

In case you may also be losing blood from a bleeding polyp in your colon. Eat plenty of spinach to help get more iron into your system anyway.

• MissA

You're supposed to get a colonoscopy around your age.  They start at age 50, or earlier if you have a first-degree relative who had colon cancer.

You are allowed to ask these questions *of your doctor*.

Just get it, I got my first one at 40.  My dad died of colon cancer and he would have lived a lot longer is he had a colonoscopy at 50.  Just one word of advise.  Buy baby wipes to use as toilet paper the day of the purge.  Trust me.  

• kelvin
      1 month agoReport

age 50 is when they say you should get your first

it's a routine test when you get up and ears and a way for them to make a couple thousand dollars real quick by putting something up your butt