Per the constitution, can the federal government make laws on how states conduct their voting?

I am not a constitutional expert, so trying to find some info. As far as I know, the constitution says nothing about voting takes place in each states and the process is left up to the states.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

The Constitution is not full of details on voting, but there is some federal authority over voting for elections, especially for federal elections.

First, Article I, Section 4, Clause 1 authorizes Congress to make laws concerning the time, place, and manner of federal elections.  Under this clause, Congress has established a uniform general election day for Congressional races (the first Tuesday after the First Monday of November in even-numbered years).

Second, several amendments relate to voting rights (e.g., Fifteenth Amendment and Nineteenth Amendment).  These amendments typically include a clause authorizing congressional legislation to enforce the amendment.  

So, mostly, under the Tenth Amendment, voting is a matter for states (especially as it concerns elections for state and local offices), but Congress has some powers to intervene.  Additionally, there are always the tax and spend clause that allows Congress to encourage states to change their election systems by providing funding for such changes to the states.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

To some degree.  The Constitution says many things about voting.  One is that the states can ban someone from voting because of the person's race.  Another is that the federal government can enforce that prohibition against a state denying someone voting rights because of the person's race.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.