Anonymous

Feeling incompetent at my new job?

I recently got hired to my first full-time job to a big company where I am supposed to coordinate, write, and manage various communication contents within the company. I currently work remotely and I am quite new so I haven't been receiving a lot of work. Most of my work goes through my manager and it always comes back with my mangers edits and such. My position doesn't really have any training so in my opinion, my skills in writing and etc. seem to be the only measurement of success at my job. However, I have never really found my skills in writing and editing literature as strengths and really don't know what my manager thinks of me when seeing my work. Most of the time, I get a "Thank you, here are some edits for..." response. I am entering my 3rd week and I feel like I'm not pulling my own weight. I know I've never been the most confident person and with me being new and all, while also being paid an actual salary instead of minimum wage. I can't help but feel incompetent at my new job. It is kind of worrying me so if you have any advice or any input that would be helpful.

Relax.  If they don't think you're pulling your weight, they will make sure you know.  Just keep doing your best and remind yourself that edits from your manager are feedback, not criticism.  

Ask your boss how you are doing. Its not a state secret.