When you got hired, did your employer check to make sure you really graduated from the university listed on your resume?

If it's better than an entry level job & they feel the need to have someone with a degree they will check.

• L

Only if the degree is REQUIRED for the job you applied for.

• ron h

I had to give permission to verify and I assume they did.  I KNOW they did a credit check.  I was REALLY surprised no drug test.  (If you're druggin', you're not really looking for a job)

• Yes. As a condition of my contract, my current employer did a credit check, educational background verification and a background check that went well beyond a criminal background check (all of which is normal given my line of work along with the depth and breadth of confidential information I have access to as part of my job duties).

If they aren't asking for a copy of your diploma, or a transcript, (which most don't) or proof of graduation, then it's very likely they aren't going to. However--if you lie about it and the truth comes out almost all of them will dismiss you. A lot of people lie about the degree they have on their resume--which is foolish. That doesn't seem to stop them, though. So a few employers will now check to make sure that at least the person DID attend that university. All military officer positions are checked for this--including transcripts from every university you've attended. 

Source(s): worked in HR for 31 years.

They didn't have to, because I spent six months working there as part of my legal course and they hired me right after.  They usually do.  They usually check out everybody, everything on the resume. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Yep, had to provide a copy of my transcripts.

Nope. None ever even checked my high school degree.

Wait, I never graduate college.

Mine didn't, neither did they check for references. In fact, they didn't really check any of my qualifications. The only thing they requested was my passport for ID. It's an IT job. 

Not my current employer, as I already had a good resume and references.

I worked for two different global corporations my first 10 years out of college, and both did pull my college transcripts as part of the hiring process.