Kia asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why does my dying dog stand in one spot and stare at me?

He has several cancer tumours that can’t be treated. He was given 6 months to live and that was over a year ago, but he is slowly dying. he’s still eating and doing dog things. But he at random times he will stand in front of me with his head slightly down with his eyes looking up at me. He will just stare into my eyes for a good 10 min then walk off and lay down. Like he doesn’t move even when I talk to him he just stares. Is this something that sick/dying dogs will do? If so how come? 

• Dave

I hate to say this, but you should put him down.  I was in the same situation.  My dog Tanya was 14 years old, very sick.  Dad told me to pick a day at random while he was at work, and take her down to the animal shelter.  So I did.  I took her for a walk, but not in the usual direction.  I went down the hill toward the animal shelter.  As soon as I turned down that hill, Tanya knew exactly where we were going, and why.  She trembled badly with fear, but did not resist.  When I got there, the clerk (who had given us the dog when she was a puppy) knew why she was there.  I gave Tanya a hug, and said "Goodbye."  She knew her time was up, and accepted it.

That is what your dog is doing.  It hurts, but you must do it.    

• Kia1 month agoReport

Awe so sad 😔

He wants to you to give him his sex toys.

My dogs have all done that at one time or another.  I think they idolize us & just looking at us brings relief.  I am down to only one dog right now.  Just lost one a few months ago & haven't been able to go get any more.  Cats do this too.

Look into his eyes  - if you have a bond with him, you should be able to see if he's asking you to help him because life is becoming too hard to bear - he has pain.  The least we can do when the time really comes is help (and your vet will tell you if he has anything more to ffer to help your old boy - and even then only YOU know your dog).   For me, it's when the down days start to outnumber the up days that you know the time is coming when you have to help.

We had one, with mammary cancer, who'd take herself off to her dog box and sit looking at the wall.   I knew she was in pain. but usually the decision was 'helped' once they went off their food.  That dear girl never did, even on the morning she was taken to be given peace. 

With a dog, the reaction is down to feeling pain.    Because this is so raw still, I'll just share with you how I still feel when having to take my boy to the vet recently.  In all previous cases he'd been taken to make him better......  this time it wasn't possible, other than to give him peace  I still weep to think that he trusted me to do that but the 'peace' was final.....

If his eyes have no trouble, maybe he just see and remember you in his last time. He knows he is going to dying. It is so sad. Some dogs or cats will behave abnormally when they are going to dying, some one will leave home then dead outside and no one find them.

Hope you can give him enough love/ 

• Verulam 1
      1 month agoReport

I believe it's more likely for a cat to take itself off when dying.  Certainly mine have always looked to ME to help them over the final hurdle when life has come too much of a burden.

• PR

Maybe he wants a little attention from you, or he senses you are feeling a little sad about him. Dogs can be quite sensitive to how you are feeling. Talk to him, pet him and make some memories. Tell him what a good dog he is!

He also may be having trouble seeing. There is such a thing as "absence seizure" in humans. Maybe he has that?

• Kia1 month agoReport

He could have that. He has tumours in his head/face/throat area so it could be affecting his vision 

He's trying to kill you. Call the police and have him arrested.