Brit asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Dog Has Missing Hair and Flaky Skin? (Picture)?

I just adopted my 2 1/2 year old Pomeranian about a month ago. I was giving her a bath a couple weeks ago and noticed she has a spot on her back that is losing hair and has flaky skin. It only seems to be getting bigger after checking on it today. Does anyone happen to know what this might be?

Sounds as though you may be bathing her way too often.  Once every 4 to 6 weeks is too often in my opinion but but bathing too much can cause exactly what you described.  Dry coat & flaky skin, itchy.  Dog food with grains can cause the same problems,  If the first ingredient is corn, you may need to go grain free.

Please consult a vet.  We can only guess (no vets on yahoo & none allowed to practice as such, w/o a REAL physical exam on a pet, anyway).  It could be a hot spot often common on lower back, but it could be some type of mange.  Either way, if increasing or getting BIGGER, it will not get better or improve on its own.  A secondary STAPH skin infection is also possible, esp if this is a hot spot.