Applying for a job. ?

I am currently filling out a job application and have a question. I have no past work experience and the application is asking me for business references. Can I put references from people like teachers or family friends or does it have to be from prior work experiences.

Teachers would be better than friends.

Teachers are just fine (good actually) for references when you don't have any work history.  Family friends are not as good, but if they hold good positions somewhere and have known you for a long time it could be fine.  

As far as asking for references with the application, generally that doesn't happen until after you've interviewed and they are making their final decisions.  It is generally acceptable to put 'Upon Request' in the references section if the system allows.  Just be ready with them when they do ask.  

You should also contact the people you are putting down to give them a heads up that you're using them (better to ask if it's okay to use them) and tell them the company and position you're being considered for.  This is a big reason why giving the references only once they're to be used makes sense.