Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Mercedes 2015 a180 engine management light constantly on ever since new turbo was fitted - taken it to garage 5 times?

I am absolutely at my wits end and am wondering if someone can please give any advice.

The turbo in my mercedes exploded in November. Bearing in mind I'm a 23 year old female who knows nothing about cars, so the only thing I was concerned with was the price. It came to £1,100. When I picked it up it worked fine for about 50 miles, and then the engine management light came on.

Took it back to the garage that fitted the turbo, they said they had cleared all the faults and it wasn't a problem.

The light came back on. The unfortunate problem I then moved down South. So I then had to take it into a brand new garage down South, and they told me it needed a new sensor and a new exhaust pipe. The engine management light came back on. Long story short I took it back to this garage multiple times and each time the engine management light came back on, overall they installed another sensor, and then said the only problem left can be the turbo the original garage put in, and it is 'no good'.

I've taken it back to the original garage, who are not engaging. They casually told me there was just a bit of excess oil. I laughed and jokingly said 'I can't imagine the engine management light not coming back on', and they laughed back and kind of agreed.

Lo and behold, the engine management light has came BACK on again.

Is there anyone good at cars out there that can give me some advice?! Do I stand my ground and tell them the turbo is faulty and they need to replace it for free? 

Update as I ran out of characters - this problem has caused me significant anxiety and stress for 6 months now. It has been CONSTANT battle of the engine managemet light coming back on, and taking it to the garage to be told the problem has been fixed. I never had this issue before they fit the new turbo. The amount of money this has cost me is devastating.

Do I just drive it with the light on for the rest of my life?

• Bill

Have someone tell you the trouble code that the diagnostic tool (scanner) reads. You’re getting jerked around. 

• Barry

Take it to a Halfords Autocentre near you (not the shop). Ask them to run a diagnostics check to identity the fault. I have found them to be honest and efficient. At least then you will know what the issue is and can make an informed decision.