Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can I get out of my lease without finding a relet and do I still have to pay rent until the remainder of the lease?

I recently took over a lease from January to July end of this year and I lived there from January to March. I moved out due to the pandemic and all my classes being converted to an online format. The manager of the apartment told me the only way out of my lease is to find another relet to take it over for me otherwise I have to continue paying until July end. I explained to the manager my situation with struggling to pay rent and they did offer a payment plan however I do not think it is fair to still be charged rent despite not being there. I moved out of my place on May 15th and handed in my keys. I renewed the lease early in December and it was too late to cancel and I had to go through at lease 30 different people before I finally found someone to agree to take it over for me starting in August. However, I have to pay 85% of one month’s rent for a relet fee just for finding my own relet on top of the rent I still have to pay until July end for an apartment I am no longer residing in. I feel like I am wasting my money and I really want a way out of my lease, but I don’t know if there is one. They informed me if I don’t pay, then they can send a collection agency after me and also report me to the credit bureaus for failing to pay rent or any fees I may owe. I’m a student who is not working right now and this is quite difficult for me. I have posted my current lease on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, the Facebook college student page, and my social media to no avail.

This is an apartment in Turlock, CA.

Sorry--you signed a legal lease agreement to pay until a certain time. When you move out, you will legally owe until the end of the lease. It doesn't matter if you are living there or not. That's what a lease IS. If you refuse to pay, they will certainly report you to the credit bureaus and your credit will be messed up. That will make it a lot harder to rent anything new. It may be difficult, but they have a legal right to ask you for the money. Take the payment plan. They DID offer it--and you need to really step up and meet your financial obligations here. 

It's unfortunate - but the manager is entirely correct. You signed the lease; the lease is legally binding; and COVID doesn't change that.

So unless you find someone else to rent the property, you will owe rent for every month of your lease, irrelevant of whether you are there or not. 

Your problem in finding someone else to sublease is your problem, not the landlord's, and it is totally irrelevant that you are not there from March through July.  You rented the place through July and you have a lease through July, so you owe through July.  You need to get the "it's not fair..." thing out of your head.  You are an adult, not a whimpering three year old.  You signed a contract so you are bound by the terms and conditions of it.

Welcome to adulthood where your actions have consequences.

YES if you are unable to find a new tenant you are legally required to pay rent through the end of the lease.  NO there is no way out of paying what you legally owe.  The pandemic does NOT get you out of the lease without paying.  YOU chose to move out before your lease expired.

but you think its fair to screw the landlord out of the rent?  he didn't cause the pandemic or force you to move.

• R P

If all those fees are covered in your lease, then that's what you have to pay in order to be released from it.

Welcome to Adulthood where there are consequences for your actions.

You answered your own question they told you exactly what you need to do.

Nobody can get out of a lease unless you do it on terms acceptable to them.