Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why are Granny Smith apples so expensive. Are they like the Chanel of apples or something ?

They're not really expensive or more expensive than other apples.

Not sure where you are, but in the UK they are much the same price as other apples.

They are tart rather than sweet so they make good cooking apples for pies and tarts. 

Wow--that IS expensive. And I would not buy them at that price. No--Granny Smiths are not the "chanel" of apples. They're basically a tart, hard, apple good for making pies--but you could buy a whole apple pie for the price of two of those!! Geez. I'd find something else to buy and wouldn't pay that for one apple. All I can say is that I'd also find another place to buy produce. 

• denise

They will be 'imported' at the moment because of the 'season'.

Looking at your picture it seems that 2 individual apples would cost more [ $3.06 ] than a pound of apples at [ $2.79 ], buy them by the pound!

• Tavy

They are imported from South Africa I think. The apple picking season is in the Autumn not June, so they are not home grown.

• Well that’s Publix and other online grocery services. When I go in person NJ, the prices of apples have consistently been .99-1.29 and that was before and after the pandemic. If you or someone else in your residence is very at risk then I guess that validated online shopping, otherwise just go to the store safely

Apple season is fall. If you're getting apples now they are coming from the southern hemisphere or in storage since at least last September. Like a fine wine or imported beer, both of those types of supply chains cost alot of money. In fall the cases will say "new 2020 crop!!!" Because yes, it is a once a year thing. In season, no apple except for designer breeds cost much more than the other $1-3/lb.

edit, I totally agree with another poster, COVID demand shot the prices up like crazy on top of all that.

Your distance from where they're grown may be a factor. In the upper midwest (where I live), they're $1.49 a pound, the northeast (where I lived last year) $1.99 a pound.

Isn't Publix a southern chain? That's a long way from Washington state, where Granny Smiths mostly come from.

• kswck2

I think you will find that the cost of ALL foodstuffs will be expensive for the next 6 months or so, due to COVID-19