Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why are Granny Smith apples so expensive. Are they like the Chanel of apples or something ?

Attachment image

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They're not really expensive or more expensive than other apples.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Not sure where you are, but in the UK they are much the same price as other apples.

• 1 month ago

They are tart rather than sweet so they make good cooking apples for pies and tarts. 

• 1 month ago

Wow--that IS expensive. And I would not buy them at that price. No--Granny Smiths are not the "chanel" of apples. They're basically a tart, hard, apple good for making pies--but you could buy a whole apple pie for the price of two of those!! Geez. I'd find something else to buy and wouldn't pay that for one apple. All I can say is that I'd also find another place to buy produce. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They will be 'imported' at the moment because of the 'season'.

Looking at your picture it seems that 2 individual apples would cost more [ $3.06 ] than a pound of apples at [ $2.79 ], buy them by the pound!

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are imported from South Africa I think. The apple picking season is in the Autumn not June, so they are not home grown.

• Well that’s Publix and other online grocery services. When I go in person NJ, the prices of apples have consistently been .99-1.29 and that was before and after the pandemic. If you or someone else in your residence is very at risk then I guess that validated online shopping, otherwise just go to the store safely

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Apple season is fall. If you're getting apples now they are coming from the southern hemisphere or in storage since at least last September. Like a fine wine or imported beer, both of those types of supply chains cost alot of money. In fall the cases will say "new 2020 crop!!!" Because yes, it is a once a year thing. In season, no apple except for designer breeds cost much more than the other $1-3/lb.

edit, I totally agree with another poster, COVID demand shot the prices up like crazy on top of all that.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your distance from where they're grown may be a factor. In the upper midwest (where I live), they're $1.49 a pound, the northeast (where I lived last year) $1.99 a pound.

Isn't Publix a southern chain? That's a long way from Washington state, where Granny Smiths mostly come from.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think you will find that the cost of ALL foodstuffs will be expensive for the next 6 months or so, due to COVID-19

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.