Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why are chuck pot roasts so expensive. They don’t even taste that good ?

Chicken is much cheaper and has a lot more flavor and tenderness 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Mom coated the whole roast in flour, and browned it in a little oil in her dutch oven. She browned it on both sides, until it looked very brown and done on the outside.. She then put water in it until it just covered the roast. You can use broth if you want. She brought it to a boil, then turned it to simmer. When it was about half done, she put in large bite sized already cooked and peeled potatoes, cut the same size carrots and onion, and let them simmer until done. She then removed the meat and veggies, and thickened the broth with a slurry of water and flour, shaken up in  a smaller jar, brought it to a boil, and served it.

This was very good, and beef flavorful. It is the browning of the meat that gives it flavor, which cooks into the water/broth. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

That is a good question because they are very fatty much more so than oven roasts like Bottom of the Round, Sirloin Tip or Rump Roasts and I have asked that question of butchers at the market and never got a proper answer because int the past the prices made more sense that is the fattier meats were cheaper. But saying they do not taste good is very wrong and indicates not knowing how to cook a pot roast because a good pot roast is delicious. 

An easy thing to make if you have a slow cooker is pot roast but you can also make it in a pot on top the stove if you don't have a slow cooker. Its easy because it is an all in one meal, a complete meal all in one pot. You take a paper or plastic bag and put some flour in it. The piece of meat you buy is a chuck roast and the size depends on how it fits in your cooker. Ideally it fits in with enough room for the other ingredients but if it is too large you cut some off and use it for a soup or chili. You shake the orast in the bag getting a dusting of flour all over it. You can season it with seasoned salt and pepper sprinkling it all around. You heat some oil olive oil is the healthiest and tastiest but you can use a vegetable oil if you don't have olive oil but if you want to eat healthy always cook or use olive oil when ever possible like for salads. You brown the meat in a large skillet iron is best but any large skillet. You can pour a little ketchup on top and keep browning. The ketchup is my mother's trick and adds flavor. Once it is brown on all sides you place it in the slow cooker and then add water to the skillet scraping the parts that stuck into the water with a fork which is why you need iron as non-stick can be damaged by a fork. The heat which was on high during the browning can be turned down a little if the water starts to boil off but then you transfer the juice to the slow cooker enough to cover the vegetables. The meat can get done if it is not entirely covered but you can cover it. You now scrape some carrots maybe two large ones and cut them in rounds about half an inch thick. You scrape the carrots with a knife and it is easier with a serrated knife but any knife can do it. Don't scrape off too much but you will notice there is sometimes what looks like dirt in the crevices well this is what you scrape off. You then peel and cutup about 4 or 5 medium pealed Potatoes and add them with an onion cut up and a piece of celery washed good and cut the same size as the carrots. and add them all around the meat in the cooker. You set the cooker on low and you leave it all day and in the evening you will have a delicious meal with really very little work and none of it is tricky or difficult. It takes me about half an hour or even less sometimes but it might take you longer at first because you never did it before. As long it is on low and covered you can leave it for hours. The meat will come out tender falling apart and delicious and so will everything else.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think the pot roasts are tasty, they will be more expensive at the moment because or the 'virus' and its effects on businesses on the whole.

Try Google for ways to cook / enhance the pot roasts.

Usually 'slow & low' has good results.

• 1 month ago

Chuck pot roasts are full of flavor. If you're going to make a roast that's the cut of meat to use. You either didn't get chuck roast or you didn't cook it right. Rump roast lacks flavor because it's really lean.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Chuck roasts are a safe meal for older consumers. They stick it in the oven until it’s  barely pink anymore and serve. It’s also easy to build a meal around, usually roasted vegetables and maybe some packaged jus or gravy. In times of confusion and certainty, most inexperienced cooks will turn to what’s familiar and easy. A roast beef is one of them.

With that being said, the price on just about all meats have gone up to varying degrees. Whole chickens and breasts have gone up a full dollar at the stores around here with usually the best prices. And I loved making chicken for that reason, it was the cheapest meat available

• 1 month ago

Debatable..................

• Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

All beef cuts have gone up in price.  And generally, the more demand there is for a particular cut, the more its price goes up. In the case of chuck roasts, are you comparing the cost of them to other cuts?  I find rib-eye steaks to be just about the most expensive per pound.

I don't know about chuck roasts, but I can speak about the increased price of short ribs. They used to be very inexpensive .. a tough cut that needed a LOT of low-heat slow wet cooking.  But restaurants discovered that they could slow-cook them and make them turn out fall-apart tender and now restaurants buy them up .. and the cost of short ribs in the supermarket has become ridiculous.

• No kidding! Short ribs used to be the junk meat - a couple bucks a pound. They're like $10-12 a pound now and because of the bones, I usually cook 4 pounds at a time. It's outrageous. And this was pre-Covid!

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think you will find that the cost of ALL foodstuffs will be expensive for the next 6 months or so, due to COVID-19

• 1 month ago

If your roast isn't packed with flavor, you're either buying low-quality beef or not preparing it correctly. I'm leaning heavily toward the latter.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.