Above ground pool - chemical start up help?

Hi everyone,

I am a new pool owner. I just got my hands on a summer waves 14’x42” above ground pool. I was wondering what chemicals, step-by-step should I add in after filling the pool with fresh tap water? From my understanding, after filling the pool:

1) clean the pool (skim surface, brush walls, vacuum floor)

2) stabilize the Ph levels - begin with Ph by increasing/decreasing to 7.2 - 7.6 

3) after stabilizing the Ph levels, shock the pool water with unstabilized chlorine near the evening/night bringing the free chlorine level up to 10ppm-30ppm 

4) add Cyanuric acid (stabalizer) to the water to between 30-50ppm [Question: do i add this stabilizer immediately after shocking the pool or do I have to wait a few hours???]

5) in the morning check the pool water levels and adjust what’s necessary, I’ve found the following guide: (ph: 7.2 - 7.6 | Alkalinity: 80 - 120ppm | Calcium Hardness: 200 to 350 ppm | Free Chlorine: 1-3ppm | Cyanuric acid: 30-50ppm)

Now my question, is this the correct order to add chemicals for fresh tap water to new above ground pool ? How long should I wait in between each step after adding each chemical (ex:  how quickly will the Ph levels adjust after I increase/decrease, does this happen immediately or do I have to let the chemicals disperse for a few hours between each step?? How quickly can I shock the pool after the Ph levels are balanced ??)

All your help would be greatly appreciated please and thank you! 

• y

Brand new pool filled with I'm assuming brand new balanced water. Which means, why the hell would you shock it? 

Stabilizer is regional and personal choice. I have had a pool for over twenty years and have never needed no used it separate from what might already be in say chlorine pucks and such.

What type of chlorine are you using?  That can dictate an aweful lot of what you do.

Balance, PH is first and foremost and it does not take more then a couple of hours before you can check and adjust it.

There are charts for almost every type of chlorine out there, and people who use straight store bleach out there. That can match how much chlorine is needed per how many gallons of water and level.  Look it up for what you are using, plop it in after dark(when it is most effective by the way) Check daily, at the same time, and adjust as needed. Only takes a couple of weeks for one to figure out their daily needs. One must pay attention to heat waves, heavy use, and rain. All will alter your norms so you need to pay attention and adjust as needed.

• John

Yeah, I haven't maintained a pool since I was a teen. But you need to talk to your pool supply people about ongoing maintenance. You don't just need an answer here, you need to understand the whole routine for all the time. It is much of what you wrote but you just need to nail it down. Probably just a long phone call.

your local pool supply store will be happy to instruct you in the finer points.  They'll want to know your pool's water capacity and your pump/circulation method