what should I use to fill in cracks of the old subfloor they used to use in the 1950's?


should I just cut it out and replace it with 3/4" plywood or should I repair it... the floor also creaks and I want to replace the carpet with a tile or just refinish the hardwood floor underneath

2 Answers

  • Steve
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    I'm a bit confused.  You talk about the subfloor yet you also may want to keep the original hardwood floor.  How do you know the subfloor is cracked if there's an original hardwood on top of it?  Do you want to  correct the creaking?

    IF the subfloor is exposed, then I urge replacement with new stuff.  That gives you the advantage of knowing which way the floor joists run.  Secure the new subfloor with decking screws every 12 inches.  Screws, not nails.

    "From the basement", you say.  That only slightly clears things up.  Between "cracks" and "basement", I gather you have a cement floor/foundation.  If so, then get some "Thinset", which is a mortar that you make to a runny consistency.  Pour it on the cracks, trowel it smooth and let it dry.  Then do whatever.

    • Wendell1 month agoReport

      from the basement

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    What is the floor made of? I have seen concrete sub floors in bathrooms, boards or  plywood in other rooms. Overlay with luan lumber flexible floor patch/leveler by Dap, or quickcrete makes a product for concrete - TONS of how to videos if it is concrete cracks.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.