Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 4 months ago

In the event of monarch who neither identifies as male or female, what would their title be?

Neither King or Queen.

@Anonymous, I am not a troll, and why couldn't it happen? There are still a few monarchies around, and society is slowly catching onto to the multiple gender reality.

And do not TU yourself, it is not classy.

@Mercury, why would it never happen? And what makes me a troll for asking?

@Verulam, what about gender transitioning surgery, or people who are non binary? It may be a small number of any population but there are those who do not identify as the biological gender they were born.

@ The first anonymous "Don't worry troll, it's never going to happen, Yes you are a troll and I didn't TU myself so don't get lippy with me until you ask a sensible question for a change."

Your TU appeared literally seconds after your answer. And it is a sensible question, jut because you might not like it or are are not smart enough to leave an intelligent answer does not make me a troll. In this circumstance, you are the troll.

Being  the head  of the church of England  would not allow  such a  person on the throne

I think Queen would cover all bases.

The gender of a Monarch would be determined by what he/she was said to be, at birth.

That would never happen you are a troll.

• Rico

There is no gender neutral title for a monarch which can fit all uses of the words 'king' or 'queen'. 

• Clo

Monarch and Sovereign are the gender-neutral titles.

• It is actually a good and interesting question. Potentially they could go for a gender neutral title like Monarch (although the UK national anthem would no longer scan). Also interesting would be the other titles that exist - e.g. prince/princess; duke/duchess, etc. - with the added complication that some of them can only be inherited by men. And what about a titled person who changed sex? Could they disinherit themselves? Or could a woman who was not due to inherit a title change sex to inherit a title or even to depose a younger brother who already held the title? 

Kueen? It's just a thought but the likelihood is, that they would be titled as the gender they were determined as, at birth.

I would suggest that because the male term is considered the pronoun to use when gender is either mixed or undefined that the male term would be used.

Consider the historians say Egypt had a female pharaoh. some titles are gender neutral.I am sure that in a society that allows for the non-binary there would be an acceptable term. Spiritual leaders who were non-binary in American Indian Tribes were often considered to be some one who  "Walked in Two Worlds" and were addressed as such in their tribal title.

In  part it would depend on the nature of the non-binary condition. After all Eunuch was used as a title in some societies because of social rank and sexual properties. Those seeking to be enlightened often had themselves castrated so intellectual pursuits were not jeopardized by distractions.

If I were to be writing a fiction story, I would coin a term either Keeng or Quing.

It has never happened and probably never will but if it does, it will be sorted out when necessary.