How much do you guys think I should get paid?

So I’ve been helping my friend remodel his parents house for two weeks straight now. Never had a day off. We took down the wall sidings of the house and replace them with new plywood sheets. We also installed new sump pumps, and repair the part of the garage roof where it was about to collapse because of all the water that’s accumulated. We also installed new shears for the ceiling. I also raked leaves and mowed their yard and their friend’s yard. We worked from 7 in the morning till 10 or 11 in the evening for 14 days straight. I live in Alaska so we have like 17 hours of daylight in case you guys are wondering why we work so late. 

I forgot to mention that this is my first ever construction job. I also helped them paint walls and floors. This helps me get some experience. 

• Will.

If the job was just helping your friend as a favour he has no obligation to pay you but should buy you a present. If it was a paying job to help him he owes you pay, and I would guess at least $1000.

• Sally

You should be paid 170 Federal Reserve Notes

• M.
      4 weeks agoReport

How much is that in Alaskan dollars?

• Kate

Did you offer to help him as a friend or as a paid employee? Maybe he is planning to pay you at the completion of the job.

I am shocked you did all of that work without a prior payment agreement.

At this point, I think you will get paid the amount of money they want to pay you.

Howsoever, you admit you had no experience and worked for the experience. What would that hourly rate be? Probably minimum wage, perhaps?

• ron h

So far, this is not a job.  It's a favor that's soaking up your time so that you can't GET A JOB.   Today, you need to say,  "Friend, we never talked about pay..."  Wait for him to answer.  If he acts like you're not gonna get paid, tell him you need to stop showing up because you need to look for a job. And unless you're drinkin' or druggin' while you work my GUESS is that a construction helper should be worth AT LEAST $12 per hour and $15 would be reasonable. You can make $10 at fast food. 

Did your friend offer to pay you for your work BEFORE you started?  Did he mention ANY sum of money?  It doesn't sound like it. Have you asked him if he plans to pay you? It doesn't sound like that either. It may be too late to get anything for all this work--because you didn't agree to payment before it began--and he may just decide he is NOT paying you. 

If you say to someone "can you help me out?" there is no expectation of payment involved in that statement. If you say to someone "can you help me out--I'll pay you later?" there IS. Which was it he said? A  lot of people do favors for others--without expecting anything in return. That's not an unusual request to make of anyone, and it doesn't come with automatic payment. You went over and above the usual "favor" granting load here--but you don't say if your friend even SAID he would pay you later. So don't be surprised if there IS no payment. Ii hope your friend is not that much of a jerk, but only you can decide if it's worth continuing. 

How much you worth pro?  Minimum wage?

Get money fool!

with meals, you work maybe 14 hours a day, for 14 days ~ 200 hours.  What are wages like in the area?  are you the skilled part of this labor crew, or the brute strength part? 

LUNCH once a day.

You STILL have never had a construction job.

• Steve

Uhoh... you should have discussed that with them BEFORE you pitched in.  Did you?  If not, you may have to suck it up.   Asking for $$ now is likely to get a backlash and ruin your friendship.  Ball's in your court.

(fellow Alaskan)