I'm learning American English, so am I correct?

‘I was at class’ = When you are there but not participating in a lesson. (‘I was at class an hour early today’) - You can’t say I was in class an hour early, there was no lesson occuring or students or lecturer, you weren’t ‘in class’, you were ‘at class’ waiting.

‘I was at the class’ = Could be used for being more specific with ‘at class’ - ie ‘I was at the class, waiting for my fellow students, when the shooting occured’

Thanks!

We've told you before that that doesn't work. You can say you were at school an hour early, or that you were in the classroom. You can't have been in class before the class started, and you can't ever be "at class". Give it up. 

You were in the classroom when the shooting started, or you were at the door to the classroom, or outside the door to the classroom. 

• drip

I was in the classroom when the shooting started. 

US we wouldn’t use the term lessons. I was in the classroom waiting for class to start.

We wouldn’t say fellow students.  I was waiting for other students to show up. Other students to come in.