can I choose not to pay rent since evictions are suspended due to the virus?

since evictions are suspended, I can save up money to find a better place, right?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If rents are suspended in your area, yes.  But they are only deferred, you will have to pay that money at some point or face eviction, barring local laws where you live.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

yeah well your landlord can evenutally sue you for non payment.

• 1 month ago

If you find a better place that is, I doubt you will. 

• 1 month ago

Yes but they can still count up the arrears and expect it later, the courts will open again.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Do you have a lease or rental contract?  If so, you are bound by the terms of that contract.  The federal government has no authority to rewrite it.  I suggest you pay your rent as agreed.

• 1 month ago

Can you "choose" not to pay rent?  No. Can you stop paying? Sure--and evictions are not ALL suspended. So without finding out if yours actually are, you are risking not having any place to live if you do this--and your ability to rent a new place will be severely limited or totally destroyed. 

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

wrong.  You'll still ow the back rent.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you stop paying rent then whoever is collecting it can make your life worse until you LEAVE!!!

• 1 month ago

You will still owe the unpaid rent. The fact that you can't be evicted right now doesn't erase the debt.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You do know what "suspended" means, right?   It is not permanent.

As soon as the suspension is over, the landlord will sue you so fast your head will spin.  Even if you've already moved out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.