Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

ELECTRIC ?

I want to take a dishwasher and hardwire into a pre-existing outlet I want to take the wire from an outlet above the counter and use it to hardwire dishwasher there’s only three outlets on the circuit is a 20 amp circuit I will not be plugging anything else into the outlets would this work and be safe I am not asking if it’s code

I’m in the US 

Re read the 1st time you asked this question I explained it with code which I only stayed you need to properly ground it if your system is old you may not have equipment ground capabilities to DAFELY GROUND DWByeah it'll work without it or if it's half assed . but it won't be safe So read your 1st questions answered again If your honestly not concerned with code WHICH IS FOR  YOUR SAFETY THEN I CANT OFFER YOU ANYMORE INFO do it right or don't do it at all . Sure you can scab into whatever outlet you want . Will it be safe ? Maybe maybe not . I wasn't stuck. In code but connecting it to code requirements should still be your end goal Another way and YOU MIGHT I said might be asking to open a can of whoop *** in yourself Do not HALF *** THIS INSTALLATION . YOU NEED TO DETERMINE IF YOUR GROUNDING IS THERE IF  ITS NOT then it's half assed . I can't give you directions to half *** install it  You can tap whatever circuit you want and it'll most likely work But even then it dies not mean it is right orbSAFE and even if you don't care about code . YOU SHOULD IF YOUR GOING TO PLAY HANDYMAN . JYST CAUSE YOU WON'T HAVE INSPECTION VON IT DOES NOT MEAN ITS OKAY TO CONNECT IT AS YOU SEE FIT JUST  TO MAKE IT WORK . EVERY THING YOU DO TO YOUR HOME SHOULD STILL BE DONE TO CODE EVEN IF YOUR NOT HAVING INSPECTIONS ON IT . for piece of mind . Guess that's not of concern to you . Good luck your asking for a specific yes or no answer . Well you need to figure out some of the first steps to safely hook it up . DON'T GET MAD it's only you and your family I'm trying to protect FROM HALF *** ELECTRICAL WORK ON A APPLIANCE THAT REQUIRES WATER yet your not concerned with code EVERY F@#KING THING YOU MODIFY OR DO ON YOUR HOME SHOULD STILL FOLLOW THE CRITERIA OF UNIFORM BUILDING CODES always Do things to those guidelines after all it's only your safety is why they are there . Doing it your way THE WRONG WAY sure it'll work . DO IT TO CODE OR CLOSE AS YOU CAN WILL ENSURE YOUR SAFETY I'm assuming your not familiar with electricity . IF someone simply stated to yes Which is what your looking to read here then your taking advice from someone who is completely f-ing clueless Just cause it will work Does not mean it's safe A metal bodies appliance that uses water and not grounded properly and or miswired Your asking fate to give you a ride on a lightning bolt . Think im joking  then feel free Even if your not worried about code THERE IS STILL A RIGHT A WRONG WAY TO HOOK IT UP good luck 

We do not know what country you are in or what your mains voltage is. A dishwasher uses a lot of power so I cannot say if a 20 Amp circuit would be suitable where you are. You would need to know the maximum wattage of the appliance and divide by the mains voltage. If the answer is less than 20 Amps, you should be OK provided, as you say, the other socket outlets are not used at the same time.

If you want to do what you said,  I would remove the closest socket outlet (after turning off the mains electricity) and replace it with a 'fused switched spur outlet'.  The mains cable connects to the 'inlet' side of the switched spur outlet and the dishwasher flex connects to the 'outlet' terminals.  The switch enables you to disconnect the power to the dishwasher for safety. The fuse fitted to the spur outlet should be appropriate for the dishwasher's maximum current.

Even better, if you can afford it, would be a spur outlet with a residual current device (or 'trip switch' or 'earth leakage circuit breaker'). This would disconnect the power in a fraction of a second if a dangerous situation arose. You can't have too much safety where electricity is concerned .... which is why I strongly suggest you ask a qualified electrician to do this job.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

They don't MAKE residential dishwashers that require more than a 20 amp circuit at 110 volts.