Brittney asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Boyfriend moved in with me and is allergic to cats, can't sleep with her in the bedroom anymore, and she is not adjusting well to it? ?

My boyfriend moved in and is allergic to cats, he has medicine but still has some problems and is better when my cat is not in the bedroom sleeping on the bed. She is not adjusting well to not being in the bedroom at night and meows constantly and doesn't stop. I have heard her meow out there for a couple hours. It makes me sad and I'm not sure what to do. During the day she is fine but at night she can't stand not being in the bedroom. It's been over a week and she still meows constantly every night. Also I am worried about her anxiety over it. She is not as independent as most cats. She follows me around constantly all day and I feel like she's having separation anxiety when she can't be in the bed with me. Tips and suggestions? 

Pets > significant others

Get rid of the boyfriend.

I would never have let this guy move in.

I once had a boyfriend who complained that my cat snored so loud it kept him awake.  I sent him home.

Confirm if he is really allergic or he just does n’t like it. I think you guys should talk about it  Looks like your cat is a sticky cat  You can check if there is a training video on youtube then you can train your cat. Make him used to sleeping outside bedroom

Ps: if you need cat tree cat cube cat scratching please have a look on cupets cat tree. 

Most people who are “allergic “ aren’t really. Take em to an allergist and make them get desensitized with shots

Your boyfriend can take a Benadryl before bedtime. It will help with  allergies & sleep. Love me, love my cat!

do you live with family members or just with him? my friend is allergic to dogs but she has one and she loves him but cant play with him much, but the dog isnt lonely because it can sleep and play with her parents and siblings. if its just the two of you maybe get a friend for your cat? like a dog maybe.

• ZotsRule
      1 month agoReport

So then the boyfriend can pretend to be allergic to cats as well?

Dump the boyfriend.  Let the cat back in bed.  Problems solved.

• e9601:

You don't have to live together. If you both care for each other, problem solved.

The first step is to avoid that boyfriend who does not like your cats. 

• ZotsRule
      1 month agoReport

Or so he SAYS.  Why was this not discovered until he moved in with her?  Like he never stayed over her place before that and reacted to the cat?????

This is a hard one--because your boyfriend IS doing his part, by taking meds for the allergies, and you are trying to do yours by keeping your kitty out of the bedroom. So here's what you can do--

(1) groom your cat a lot--not only will this soothe her feelings of separation anxiety, it will ALSO have the beneficial effect of removing the excess hair and dander. Do NOT do this in the bedroom, however.

(2) change her food to Purina Pro-Plan "All Clear" which reduces the amount of allergens in hair and dander in cats by up to 47%.

(3) Talk to your vet about other methods for reducing allergens and shedding. 

(4) vacuum your bedroom more often, including the bedding. At least 2-3 times a week. 

Try to gently introduce her to a bed of her own--maybe if you buy her a new one and sleep with the NEW bed yourself for a few nights, (without the kitty), she will recognize your scent on it and take to it better. Yes, she misses your scent and your warmth at night. You might also try a piece of cat furniture with an enclosed space so she feels more secure without you.  It's a source of anxiety for some kitties--they like routines they can count on. Just be patient and persistent. 

Good luck.