What is the best way to clean my keyboard? It's a low profile one and I can brush it, but it really needs a good clean?

• Lex

For a quick clean, I use a post it note and run it between the keys. You can also used compressed air.

For a more thorough clean, it's a little different.

The keys on the keyboards can actually be removed and cleaned with soap and water.

What I do is take a picture of the keyboard so I know where the keys go. Make sure it's clear enough to be able to read.

Using a flat tool like a knife or a screwdriver, I carefully remove all the keys. I have my other hand over the keyboard as i pry them off to keep them from flying everywhere.

Then I would wash the keys in soap and water and set them aside to dry.

Using denatured alcohol, I wash the rest of the keyboard. I get all the grime and stuff out of there. 

Now, comes the most difficult part, which is putting all the keys back on. This is why you took a picture of the keyboard. Make sure also that the keys are fully dry before you put them back on the keyboard. Firmly press each key so it sits back onto the board.

I usually just turn it upside down and tap it so that all crumbs, hairs, etc. will fall out. Then just wipe it down.

EDIT: Use a damp cloth with a mild detergent, or even plain water will do. Never spray on the keyboard as the spray will leak in between the keys and possibly cause damage.

• Verulam 1
      1 month agoReport

It's the wiping it down I'm interested in - with what!!?

Cleaning gel + cleaning With Q-tips is usually effective.