James asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Is this an advantage in martial arts?

I am 6ft3 190cm and weigh 198 pounds with long legs and arms etc....

Have I got a big advantage when it comes to martial arts?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Yes and NO. Why both yes and no? Simple long limbs are longer lever arms and easier to work against that person with longer limbs.

Longer limbs can be used for distance and keep opponent at distance. Unfortunately longer limbs means it takes longer to get from point a to point b.

And again if you compare height. A taller fighter does not mean a better fighter.

For every physical advantage has a disadvantage. You have to understand and learn both. This makes you a more well rounded fighter. It also teaches u how to "size up" you opponent.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Long arms and legs are generally an advantage. You have long reach for striking and you have good leverage for submissions. It is a bit of a target I guess. With long arms and legs, you can get caught in submissions but that's really a technical issue that you can work around. I would say final answer: It's an advantage.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

.. cf in certain sports type venues, which may contain only certain techniques & have weight groups, timed matches, be one to one, etc, which favour certain configuration aspects while ignoring others: eg what if groups were based on height cf weight etc, eg, some famous bxers when went to higher wt

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nice dude. I wish I was 6 foot 3 198 lbs. Just don't love violence. That's the only thing I have to say to you. Not saying you do or don't. 

• Imp
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Reach definetly is an advantage except during grappling. Keep your opponent at a distance, like Ali!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bon
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If by advantage, you meant being able to master a martial art easily then the answer is no.  If you mean that your stats gives you someone that other people do not have, not really.

Martial arts is not about relying on brute physical force.  The purpose is to use skill to defeat an adversary because strength can always be defeated by more strength. While you may be bigger and stronger than most people round for now, what are going to do when you mean someone bigger and stronger than you?

And even that is not all you face because if you were to fight someone smaller and not as physically strong, but more skilled and more determined than you, you would also be at a disadvantage.

• Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

good point; also, 89/190 could be a bit thin, so that configuration could actually be disadvantageous cf stouter, and depends very much on specific situation & surroundings; disparities in stature affect aspects of techniques & center of balance; also, multiple situations re stature etc

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That depends on the martial art.  Martial means military.  Military arts include shooting, armed combat, unarmed combat, equestrian skills, running, swimming, and much more.  Size is an advantage in most physical competitions and 6 feet 3 & 198 pounds is good size. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

nice answer & good point and good point re what the weight consists of, muscle cf flab: condition is very significant, & per volume, muscle weighs more than flab 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.