How long will 1998 honda accord last?

Im thinking of buying a '98 honda accord for $2800. It has 227k miles on it but the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 190k. How long will this car last with proper maintenance? Am I making a smart purchase?

• Jensen

They last a long time if you maintain them. If not they won't last.

• Phil M

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't trust a car that old with that many miles with a replaced water pump to last 1,000 miles. A replaced water pump most likely means the car over heated. So the head gasket, or possibly the head itself could be damaged. You could get lucky though and I could be wrong. But I would not take that gamble.

If the car was in the rust zone, rusted brake and fuel lines, rusted out engine cradle etc, it's basically junk or a $1,200 car in garaged shape with good tires. With those miles and crap tires with under-body rust it's not even worth $500, look up the blue book value and choose wisely. At $2,800 you'll be a big loser on that deal without a 12 month or 10K mile written warranty included. It's ready to pop a head gasket any time now and that will be it's no fix scrap yard crusher burial.

A lot will depend on how you drive.

• Phil M
      1 month agoReport

Not as much as how it was driven for 227,000 miles.

LOL - It will last until it doesn't!  No body can tell you how long YOU will last, let alone some used car.

• keerok

Until you run it over the cliff. Those cars were built to last forever but as you say, with proper maintenance.

If it has auto transmission DO NOT buy it.  If it’s a manual get it checked out by a mechanic first, $2800.00 is high. 

• None1 month agoReport

Get a mechanic to inspect the car, it costs a little bit (unless you know a friend who will do it for free) but it gives you peace of mind if you’re not well versed on mechanics personally. 

• arther

buy something newer that has gone half that distance. $2800 for a 22 year old car theres a hell of alot of other parts waiting to fail.

Get your mechanic to do a full pre-purchase inspection on it.  At 227k miles even on a Honda, I would say most of its life is gone.  It could last another 100k miles, it could die in a week.

• None1 month agoReport

I’d say there is a reason you commented anonymously because your full of crap. 227k is barely broken in for a Honda if it’s been properly maintained. 

I presume you have more than just the seller's word about the timing belt and water pump.  If there is documentation that they have been replaced. I expect the AC and alternator may be the only possible problems in the next 100,000 miles.

It is 22 years old , you never know.  Offer him 1900 and save the extra $1000 for future problems (there just may not be any though)

• None1 month agoReport

I agree they need to come down on price, even if it’s a top model accord sedan $2,800 is high. I’m seeing on KBB about $860 - $2,300 with a suggested price of $1,580 granted that’s based off my zip code and I had to assume base options and mid tier model.