How long will 1998 honda accord last?

Im thinking of buying a '98 honda accord for $2800. It has 227k miles on it but the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 190k. How long will this car last with proper maintenance? Am I making a smart purchase?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Jensen
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

They last a long time if you maintain them. If not they won't last.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't trust a car that old with that many miles with a replaced water pump to last 1,000 miles. A replaced water pump most likely means the car over heated. So the head gasket, or possibly the head itself could be damaged. You could get lucky though and I could be wrong. But I would not take that gamble.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If the car was in the rust zone, rusted brake and fuel lines, rusted out engine cradle etc, it's basically junk or a $1,200 car in garaged shape with good tires. With those miles and crap tires with under-body rust it's not even worth $500, look up the blue book value and choose wisely. At $2,800 you'll be a big loser on that deal without a 12 month or 10K mile written warranty included. It's ready to pop a head gasket any time now and that will be it's no fix scrap yard crusher burial.

• 1 month ago

A lot will depend on how you drive.

• Phil M
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Not as much as how it was driven for 227,000 miles.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

LOL - It will last until it doesn't!  No body can tell you how long YOU will last, let alone some used car.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Until you run it over the cliff. Those cars were built to last forever but as you say, with proper maintenance.

• 1 month ago

If it has auto transmission DO NOT buy it.  If it’s a manual get it checked out by a mechanic first, $2800.00 is high. 

• ...Show all comments
    • None1 month agoReport

Get a mechanic to inspect the car, it costs a little bit (unless you know a friend who will do it for free) but it gives you peace of mind if you’re not well versed on mechanics personally. 

• arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

buy something newer that has gone half that distance. $2800 for a 22 year old car theres a hell of alot of other parts waiting to fail.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Get your mechanic to do a full pre-purchase inspection on it.  At 227k miles even on a Honda, I would say most of its life is gone.  It could last another 100k miles, it could die in a week.

• None1 month agoReport

I’d say there is a reason you commented anonymously because your full of crap. 227k is barely broken in for a Honda if it’s been properly maintained. 

• 1 month ago

I presume you have more than just the seller's word about the timing belt and water pump.  If there is documentation that they have been replaced. I expect the AC and alternator may be the only possible problems in the next 100,000 miles.

It is 22 years old , you never know.  Offer him 1900 and save the extra $1000 for future problems (there just may not be any though)

• None1 month agoReport

I agree they need to come down on price, even if it’s a top model accord sedan $2,800 is high. I’m seeing on KBB about $860 - $2,300 with a suggested price of $1,580 granted that’s based off my zip code and I had to assume base options and mid tier model. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.