Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

My husband wants me to mow the lawn which is pretty big. Is he a male chauvinist? ?

So my husband works 60 hours a week.. I'm a stay at home wife. My husband cooks, cleans, does dishes etc... I love the fact that he does chores  that have traditionally been associated with the female gender.. however yesterday he said that he believed in "gender equality"  and therefore he considered that it was "fair" if I mowed the lawn!! I come from a family where only men mow the lawn... also, in my neighborrhood only men mow the lawn... The only women that I know who mow the lawn are fictional women who post on yahoo answers..

is my husband a male chauvanist? 

No just mow the lawn after making him his sandwich

Lol! My husband and I both work and sometimes he cuts the grass & other garden work and other times I do. I enjoy it actually. He gets annoyed when he comes home and I’ve done it because he likes to do it “his way” as he says. But I like gardening too. 

• Orla C

You're being silly. Of course you can mow the lawn. I'm a woman and have been mowing lawns since I was a child. I've also painted fences, mucked out stables, weeded vegetable and flower beds, helped on a farm, and changed tyres on a car. 

I'd say your husband is the opposite of a male chauvinist. In fact, I would strongly advise you to look up the definition of such words so that you don't embarrass yourself again by using them incorrectly. 

Chores are not "gender based." Any member of a family or couple can do any chore--it's not up to what gender you are, it's up to who has the time and energy and means. Get over the gender thing here--if you have time to mow the lawn, mow it. If you don't know how, you should learn. Take care of your home, your yard and yourself without worrying about what gender does what chore. It's a waste of time and divisive in a partnership. 

No he's not, and if this husband of yours actually does exist and you're not simply trolling, then you should count yourself lucky to have such a good man.

Now, go mow the lawn. You don't have to do it all at once if it's that big, but mow it. It's the least you can do since it sounds like he's doing more than his fair share of the work.

If anything you sound like a female chauvinist. And yes, gender equality works both ways, otherwise it wouldn't be equality. 

And yes, I'm a woman, I don't mow the lawn because my husband insists on doing it (he's bought a lawn tractor and it's his baby), but I do most of the other work around the house and our 4.5 acre property, including the traditional "man's jobs", because my husband works long hours and I work part time, and it wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Who knows, you might even enjoy mowing the lawn once you get over your resentment. I have a female friend who loves it and finds it immensely satisfying. She can barely wait for that grass to grow, and she won't even let her teenage boys mow the lawn for her.

• ANDREW

Seriously? Just wow,

Let me suggest you to YES mow the lawn BUT till the point when you get overtired & THEN quit!Will he understand this situation?Watch it yourself as it unfolds!Because it looks to me that you 2 are starting what later will become a divorce situation!

Some women are just so stupid and selfish. (I'm a woman!) You have a good man working his butt off to provide for you so you can stay at home. A decent woman would be looking at things she could do to make his life easier/happier when he is home. You don't even have the decency to be embarrassed, but want to call him a chauvinist!! He works his butt off because he loves you - why don't you show the same love?????

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

And some people don't know what goes on in the world libra!! I had a neighbour just like this woman whose husband did EVERYTHING while princess did nothing. You don't know if this poster IS a troll - but I KNOW there are women out there just like this!!.

I live in a neighborhood where the women mow the lawn.  This includes me.  It's not the most fun chore in the world, but it's not hard.  I like to think of it as getting time in the sunshine and fresh air.

• Linda
      1 month agoReport

If you can mow it do so. I have had four back operations and I can no longer. I did until 2008

Just mow the lawn, and STOP complaining about it. You know he could have given you a MUCH harder chore, or a lot more chores. I think he is being VERY nice, and you are being a b**ch.

It seems to me you barely do anything as a stay at home wife. Well come to think of it you didn't say that you do anything, so I think you are useless. You don't do the responsibilities of a married woman, so I don't know why he married you.

I am not married, and what I am reading here is a turn off.

Your husband is doing your job, and his, so I just don't see the point of him marrying you!

If you were my wife then I would put you to work. You would be cooking, cleaning, and maybe working too.

Your husband ONLY gave you one chore. JUST 1!!!

I really don't know what is wrong with you, and why you won't do it.

I am a male by the way.

• Linda
      1 month agoReport

If you cannot, get a riding lawn mower or pay someone. Surely you can talk this over?