Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 month ago

Can my parents see if I used their insurance card?

I’m 15 and I’ve been having unprotected sex. I just want to go to the doctor get checked for STD & STIs. I want to go alone & of course I need insurance. I’m on my mothers insurance plan with Blue Cross blue shield. Will she see that I’ve used it & what I used it for? Will she be notified? Can I go to the doctor alone? 

In New York State, Public Health does testing for STDs. Check with your State to see if they do this, too.

Do you have a Planned Parenthood in your area?  They will do the tests without telling your parents and may have a way to avoid using your parent's card.   In the US

also, you can keep your "sexual" information confidential at the age of 16.   Even if your parents brought you and paid for it.  Just be sure to tell the doctor you want it to be confidential.  Look up HIPPA privacy.

"If you are 16 or over, your parent cannot access your medical records without your consent. You are in charge of deciding who can and who can't share your health information. If you are under 16, your parents can access your medical records without your consent, but you may be able to prevent that access."

The answer varies depending on where you are.  You sound American...

In the US, minors have reasonably good privacy in terms of their sexual health.  Your doctor won't disclose anything to your parents that you don't want them to unless it is necessary or legally required.  Your STI results and your sexual behavior wouldn't be revealed.

Insurance companies send a periodic report of who went to what providers on what dates called an "Explanation of Benefits."  It doesn't say why the person was seen, what testing was done, or what treatments were given.

If you don't want to explain why you went to see a specialist, you can discuss your sexual health risks with your primary care provider and they can probably handle all of your needs without referring you to another doctor.  So it'll just show up on the EOB as you seeing your regular doctor in the office.

You're underage which means no doctor could even see you without parental consent. And yes, your parents would be notified if you tried to use their insurance. Just fess up & go see your GP.

• patty

or u could save up some money and pay cash as u go