Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Are cats expensive  generally ?

Is it expensive to get a cat and take care of it?

I do not think cats will be expensive. You can definitely negotiate and buy a cat . 

Find a homeless cat and take care of them.. its free :)

• patty
      1 month agoReport

yeah

Yes. For one, in the U.S., renters get charged a monthly fee per pet. If you have outdoor cats, there are vet bills when the cats fight and get claw mark infections. Later in life, cats can develop all sorts of expensive health issues such as diabetes that require expensive insulin ($100 - $140 per month). Then there are expenses should your cat scratch something up, throw up (which happens often) or uses the bathroom where they shouldn't (which rarely happens but sometimes).

Well not really, depends on what you consider expensive. They need your time and your energy and of course you need to buy the food and litter box...I'd say for one cat about 12$ a week. The bag of cat food I get (a good quality) cost 8 bucks for a 3lb bag and will last a week. The litter I get cost 10 bucks a box but lasts 2 weeks. So around 52 bucks a month, and the yearly vet visit cost $100 dollars. Compare this to my dogs which cost about double that each week. But they are all worth it. Love them all. 

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

Patty, they dont "need" major vet care tho.   Euthanasia is about $50...  Then find another "free to good home" kitten

• *****

Depends on the cat. My indoor cat was certainly not cheap to care for. I got him inexpensively from a local shelter, but that's where the cost savings ended. He needed to be fed special food as he was prone to forming painful urinary crystals. His prior owners had him declawed in the front, making him extraordinarily picky about his litter (he only liked the absurdly expensive stuff). He had a number of health issues over the years that needed treatment, including more than one surgery, many of the issues due to the prior owners' decision to declaw him.  Then he got cancer. Only it took an expensive MRI and a biopsy to actually find out it was cancer, after MANY other diagnostics and treatments failed to find the cause of his symptoms or resolve them.  Let me tell you, he racked up absolutely ENORMOUS vet bills last year just trying to figure out why he was having trouble breathing and acting off before having to have him euthanized. 

Can you get lucky and end up with a cat that doesn't cause any outsized bills? Sure. But there's no guarantees. Make sure you have a plan to cover unexpected vet bills, such as significant savings set aside, or veterinary insurance.

That depends. I have a russian blue, he was 1106 dollar. And of course, the Russian blue is an expensive breed. You could easily get a kitten for 50 dollars or even for free sometimes. I suggest you look up some cat breed sites and pet places, or shelters. If you consider buying an expensive cat breed, always take a good look at the breeder. Go to their house, check the papers for vaccines and stuff, otherwise you could end up buying an unhealthy cat or not the breed the breeder promised. If you are scared they could get sick easily, keep them indoors, will prevent going to the vet often. You could also protect your furniture or give them enough scrathing poles. NEVER NEVER EVER: declaw a cat. It hurts and is so freaking cruel. They suffer from chronic pain and can be more aggressive after the surgery. It's unnatural! If you are buying a cat, good luck and have fun with it!

No.  Theres plenty of kittens free to good home.   Shelter cats are also way cheaper than shelter dogs.

Cats are cheap to feed and litter is cheap.  Keep the cat indoors and the only vet care they need is to be spayed and neuteredAnd the idea of purebred cats is assenine.   They dont have any particular purpose..  Juat bred to have a specific look..  You can find any color of cat in generic moggies...  Dont support cat breeders... All cats should be spayed and neutered anyways, not bred for profit.

If your cat rarely gets sick of illness , you are lucky you will take less money.

Ps if you need cat tree pelase check out brand cupets.

i wouldnt think so, ive thought of getting one myself

• Joe

not if you let them become street cats